Monday, January 21, 2008

To EEE or not to EEE


My laptop died. A quick, painful death as I held it in my arms.

See, it's power supply was held on by a cheap piece of plastic. So, after about four years of wear and tear, it decide to break off the motherboard. But not before big dramatic spectable (with blue sparks).

Now I'm left with a decision (and an extra 80GB 2.5" HDD... but I digress):

Replace the laptop with a device that could cost up to $1,000. Or with a device that only costs a few hundred dollars, but gets the job done.

But I don't know. It's tiny and underpowered, but maybe too tiny and underpowered? Any thoughts?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

It is too tiny and underpowered.

But it has mad street cred.

Tue Jan 22, 09:32:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

I agree with LDub and I really can't imagine ever wanting to sit down to write using that keyboard and display. I'd need to plug it in to an external monitor and use a USB keyboard, but at that point I'd rather just get a Mac Mini. And if I'm going to spend that much for a Mac Mini, I'd probably just spring for a MacBook.

MacBooks are sweeeeeet.

Tue Jan 22, 10:10:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a commodity laptop. Dell latitudes are a good choice, a d520 or d620 from the dell website -> small business -> factory outlet can be had for approx. 600-700 dollars (you'll need another 40 for 2gb aftermarket ram). HP business class are decent as well, but I don't have any experience with them.

Install linux. Make sure the pc has parts from manufacturers who provide decent drivers. Intel instead of broadcom for wireless, and nvidia or intel instead of ati/amd for video. The dell port replicators play well with linux in case you're interested in a normal size monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Sat Feb 02, 02:20:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home