Friday, January 04, 2008

4 reasons In Rainbows deserved a 6

1) The album doesn’t feel cohesive. It awkwardly moves from fast songs to slow, mind-numbing songs and never creates a consistent tone.

2) There is only one great song. And it’s called Jigsaw Falling into Place.

3) I’ve heard it before. The In Rainbows recipe: Two parts Amnesiac. Two parts Hail to the Thief. One part Kid A. And five parts The Bends. Don’t add any OK Computer.

4) Radiohead still isn’t any fun. And now they only seem to sing about themselves.

In case that isn’t convincing:

15 Step is a good song. But even the lyrics themselves are wholly aware that the song is another Radiohead song. “How come I end up where I started?” There is nothing here that we haven’t heard before.

Bodysnatchers is actually one of my favorites from the album. It has energy. And it raised my hopes for the album the first time I heard it.

Nude is a song I really liked when I first heard it a decade ago. I realize that Radiohead has never officially released the song before. But that doesn’t make it any newer.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is another prime song. But it introduces the biggest problem I have with this album. It’s too much about Thom Yorke.

See list item number 4, please, for All I Need.

Faust Arp wins the Sail You to the Moon award for worst individual song on an album and is an easy candidate for worst Radiohead song of all time.

Reckoner is the kind of “wrist slitting” song Radiohead has long been reviled for by mainstream audience. I’ll admit... it makes me wonder if they’re right. Even though I kind of like the song.

House of Cards almost feels light and fun. Except it’s that same high horse they’ve been riding for years. Another reminder of how stupid people are for living average lives.

Jigsaw Falling into Place is arrogant and a little too sarcastic. But it’s a good song.

Videotape is a final example of why this album is just slightly above the Radiohead average. And, perhaps, it’s the final song on the final album for the band.

And if I’m not convincing, consider this damning two star review on Amazon.com. In a January 3 review titled Radiohead slap their own faces Y. Shuangchun (real name) says, “I paid at least $6 for their own digital download. And they only gave me 160kps CBR MP3. Now they sell it else where for low price. I am like, why should I have paid to support them in the first place and now I felt like I am trashed, as their fans.”

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me, in rainbows is the most accesible radiohead album ever. but i think it achieves a broader appeal without sacrificing quality or depth. which, to me, makes it feel like the best radiohead album ever.

Fri Jan 04, 04:43:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe broader appeal isn't the right way to describe what i think it's got. maybe groundedness. . . if i decide i can articulate better i'll let you know.

Fri Jan 04, 04:45:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

mark is a 6

Sat Jan 05, 06:32:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home