Wednesday, January 02, 2008

5 reasons Puzzle Quest is game of the year


1) It’s additive. I spent more time playing Puzzle Quest than I would have liked. Rachel did too. As I mentioned before, it’s one of those games that I could see, even when I closed my eyes.

2) It’s original. It seamlessly blends two unrelated game genres into one fun package.

3) It has a great “sleeper hit” story. It was a low-budget indie game from no-name developer and publisher... and it became popular largely through word-of-mouth and critical acclaim. That’s amazing in an era where the average annualized sequel costs $15 million to produce.

4) Rachel played it. Did I mention my wife played it. She doesn’t like any video games except for Bejeweled and Heroes II. And Puzzle Quest.

5) It’s fun. Not only is it addictive, but it’s fun. It didn’t feel like work when I was playing it. Nor did if feel like failure when I finally put the game down (unbeaten).

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I really liked Puzzle Quest, but the game never really developed. I eventually had to put it down due to sheer tedium.

Thu Jan 03, 07:11:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

That was one of the things I liked about it. The story was there, but it was just Tolkien-lite and wasn't necessary to enjoy the game.

Fri Jan 04, 08:36:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I could care less about the story. I mean the tedium of the battles. I especially hated the random monsters that would appear on your path. Towards the end of the game the battles took awhile to plow through, and it really irritated me to have to spend an hour fighting random dudes just to get to where I needed to go.

Fri Jan 04, 10:13:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home