Thursday, January 03, 2008

On politics.

We have all wondered what is wrong with Kansas.

But the more I interrogate my own political leanings this election cycle, the more uncertain I become about their rational foundations.

I have followed the election coverage, reviewed the position break-downs, and watched the debates.

Yet when I actively (or passively) consider who I should support for nomination, I find myself thinking in conflicting mediated caricatures.

Hillary the pugilist versus Hillary the triangulator.

Barack the uniter versus Barack the inexperienced.

John the populist versus John the methodist.

Truth be told, Kucinich probably overlaps most fluidly with my core values. But I can't stand him. Should I still vote for him?

Likewise, I want to support Obama because of what he represents, but is that rational? Should I simply forgo rationalism as my political compass?

All this anxiety is inconsequential as the nominee will be a forgone conclusion by the time I vote. But these days I find myself wondering less about Kansas than my own rational facilities.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Kucinich and I think he'd be the best president of the lot, but he doesn't have a snowball's chance, so the pragmatist version of me supports Obama. And I like John a lot.

Hillary is out for me because of her views on executive power. Plus I just don't like her.

If a Republican has to win I hope it's John McCain.

Anyway, not liking someone can be a big deal. Leadership style is an important part of the office.

Thu Jan 03, 04:29:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

two words: Tom Tancredo

Thu Jan 03, 05:11:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home