Tuesday, January 01, 2008

LOGANMIX2007: The chorus doesn't matter

A modest compendium of my favorite tracks of the year. And a sneak peak at what will be gracing my top albums list (oh, the suspense!).

Just so you know, I decide to structure this mix differently than I have in the past, so if you wanna rock the house and turn this motha out, you will need to skip ahead to at least track 8.

1. Pioneer To The Falls - Interpol [Our Love To Admire]
2. Sea Legs - The Shins [Wincing the Night Away]
3. Forgotten Works - Klaxons [Myths of the Near Future]
4. My Piano - Hot Chip [DJ Kicks: Hot Chip]
5. Wanderlust - Björk [Volta]
6. Deathful (ft. Tunde Adebimpe) - Subtle [Yell&Ice]
7. Kappsta - The Field [Pop Ambient 2007]
8. Atlas - Battles [Mirrored]
9. Grip Like A Vice - The Go! Team [Proof of Youth]
10. Must Be The Moon (Radio Edit) - !!! [Must Be The Moon Single]
11. You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb - Spoon [Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga]
12. Bookshop Casanova - The Clientele [God Save The Clientele]
13. Dashboard - Modest Mouse [We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank]
14. She's a Rejector - Of Montreal [Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?]
15. Come Around (ft. Timbaland) - M.I.A. [Kala]
16. Beautiful Life - Gui Boratto [Chromophobia]

[And for those who want to throw all consequence aside: "what's up? holla!"]

Happy New Years everybody!


I am really going to miss those 00' shades when the decade ends.

7 Comments:

Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

no radiohead? are you kidding?

Wed Jan 02, 02:19:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

QFT. Jigsaw Falling Into Place deserves a spot.

Wed Jan 02, 03:38:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

As I explained to Ben IRL, I found that the Radiohead songs didn't play well with others. And by that, I mean the In Rainbows tracks didn't quite fit in with the rest of the mixtape, nor did the album have a singular standout track.

Maybe it is just me, but Radiohead isn't really the kind of band you would throw on a mixtape, Maybe the same reason you don't see them remixed all that often.

Wed Jan 02, 06:08:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

And also, there is the limitation of having only so many songs you can throw on a mix and I don't think anybody with any cultural awareness missed out on Radiohead this year.

Tough call. (Although I probably would have gone with something like Reckoner or Weird Fishes... but now you can see the dilemma. So many great tracks. Which makes me wonder why you only gave it a 6 Mark. That is only understandable if HTTT is a 2).

Any other tracks you think I missed out on? I really like Mistaken for Strangers (but felt the mix was too maudlin already) and Icky Thump is pretty boss.

The consensus track of the year was All of My Friends by LCD Soundsystem, but it really did not jive with me at all.

Wed Jan 02, 06:15:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be one of the burial haters. . . archangel - burial

i think 15 step is a mixable song, but you're right, i don't think you'd be exposing anyone to it.

i'm surprised you didn't like all of my friends, i thought it was pretty good. did you like the album?

can you recieve large attachments at you wesleyan address?

Thu Jan 03, 05:14:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Didn't hate Burial, but did not feel it. Same for LCD Soundystem.

Wesleyan is not the place for large attachments.

Thu Jan 03, 07:29:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All in all I think you've got a pretty good mix here.

maybe I should save this comment for the albums post, but I am surprised by how much I like Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, more than Kill the Moonlight and WAY more than Gimme Fiction.

Fri Jan 04, 09:55:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home