Sunday, October 28, 2007

Nintendo thumb...

I have come to accept the fact that I have done permanent damage to my right thumb. And that, eventually, I will have to learn how to write with my left hand.

It isn't so bad once you get past the initial shock. Realistically, we're all destroying parts of our bodies and brains just by living. So ruining a specific part of your body doing something you enjoy really isn't bad. But here is the issue: I'm not sure that I enjoy playing videogames anymore.

This isn't about how videogames have gotten stale, or I've played too many, or, like a longtime aficionado of anything, I've seen everything and I'm sick of whatever I see now because it's the same old thing as the old thing. (Which is all true.) No, I think it might be something else.

See, I am actually sticking to my rule about videogames machines this generation. The one where I say I'll never spend more than $200 on any system. For the most part, I've never really followed it. Sure, technically, I have all but twice. (With the Wii. And the PSP I bought for $250 and later sold for $150.) But there are always accessories and games and all this other crap you have to buy in order to really "own" the system.

Nintendo Gamecube, 2001, for instance I only spent $199.99 for the system... and $30 each for three controllers... $50 each for four games... and $20 for a memory card. I can't remember exactly how much all of that added up to. Mostly because I used student loan money to pay for it. (Yeah, that means I'm probably still paying for that Gamecube. Which I've since traded for Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii, along with $20 to cover the difference in value. All around, another wise investment.)

Yet, recently, I haven't even been tempted to buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360. Granted, both machines are impressive. I love the streaming and media capabilities of both. Particularly the PS3. But I'm not moved to buy either. Even though I have more disposable income today. (Well, maybe I was a little by Bioshock, though, strangely not Halo 3. Much like Bungie, I think I've lost interest in Halo.)

So I must not be as interested in gaming anymore. Either that, or I'm getting wiser in my old age.

That doesn't seem likely.

2 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I find I go through cycles... I can not play video games for a few months, but then be fully engaged by one for a couple of weeks.

Halo 3 is not worth it unless you play with a bunch of people and Bioshock never matches the excitement of the first few levels.

I played Portal this weekend... DAMN. It was one of the few times I have ever felt like I was seeing the future of gaming.

Smash Bros delayed? WTF!

Tue Oct 30, 10:31:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I've heard Portal is amazing. Somewhat related, have you heard of the zero punctuation reviews yet? Amazing.

Tue Oct 30, 10:41:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home