Tuesday, February 06, 2007

“You Win Universe”

A few weeks ago, we experienced a 36-hour outage of email and Internet at work. It went down at about 4:00 on Tuesday and didn’t work until again Thursday morning.

It was horrible. My office was almost shut down. I had to depend on things like the telephone and fax machine just to get my job done.

But that isn’t the worse thing. I just moved, so I’ve been without the Internet since Friday and will be until tomorrow.

That’s five full days without access to an endless supply of Lindsey Lohan news, up-to-the-minute sports scores and rumors, obligatory message board opinions, social networking and important news from reputable sources.

I’ve only been online (as we used to say) since 1997. That’s less years than I’ve been alive I think. But someone bits of information transported magically through tubes (which aren’t like a big truck) have become an essential, indispensable part of my life.

Weird.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

i like this one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOoQFa5ug8

Tue Feb 06, 06:24:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i didn't have the internet at work i might actually have to work.

i don't like the sound of that

p.s. seriously what the hell is up with your visual verification bullshit? are spam bots really trying to post on your blog?

i always get it wrong on the first try, which might be my fault, but i doubt it because the pattern is always the same, wrong - then the image doesn't show up so i just click and get it wrong again, and then on the third try it works.

why is google screwing with blogger?

Wed Feb 07, 12:48:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Yeah... it's just blogger.

I have the same issue. If you, however, sign in with you Google account you don't have to do the visual verification...

At least. I don't have to...

Just let me know and I can send you a gmail invite.

Wed Feb 07, 01:06:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

My net problems continue.

Comcast doesn't offer cable Internet at my complex.

Now my DSL didn't work out of the box. Qwest is sending a rep to see if its their problem, if it's not they want to charge me $100 to fix the line to the apartment. Of course, I don't own the apartment so I'm not going to pay that, but I haven't had a chance to talk to my landlord about it.

There's a wireless option available, but I don't know how crappy it'd be, and it wouldn't allow me as much control over the signal. I.e. no Wii online :(

Thu Feb 08, 10:15:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

that's what you get for moving to crappytown

p.s. still have to do the visual verification

Thu Feb 08, 12:06:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Okay... I now have the Internets at home. Thank goodness...

And Brad, I guess only blog authors don't have to enter visual verification.

Thu Feb 08, 05:26:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

SUCKER!

Thu Feb 08, 06:26:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

i feel so excluded.

i thought the series of tubes was supposed to be a great equalizer.

i wrote my own history of the Real Salt Lake Stadium saga. Check it out. 5 posts!

let me know if there are typos or anything.

Fri Feb 09, 11:39:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

You make a convincing argument. And there are some typos... more soon.

Fri Feb 09, 12:17:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home