Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hunting

30 days after Christmas, you’d think that you could just walk into a store and buy one. (Of course, I thought you would be able to go into a store and buy one at launch, and thereafter as well.)

But no. As I’ve already explained, I've tried to get a Nintendo Wii and so far have had absolutely no luck whatsoever. For example, yesterday I called the Gamestop by my work at 10:30 AM and the guy tells me that the shipment hasn't come in yet so call back later. I call at 11:30 and he tells me that the shipment came in at 11:15, there were Wiis, but they had ALREADY sold out. Apparently, people came in to the store and waited around until the shipment arrived.

Then I read stories about parents waiting in front of Toys “R” Us before they open and almost instantaneously buying up the wee Wii inventory. I’ve gone to eBay and witnessed people paying a $120 premium just to get their hands on someone else’s Wii.

There’s always something so unusual about wanting to spend money but being unable. It makes you feel powerless and week. Especially since it isn’t like I'm going to go out and spend two or three times as much money to pick up and Xbox 360 or another POS Sony product.

It’s almost emasculating.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger jsl said...

And then there's the woman in Chico who died of water poisoning trying to win a Wii for her son...

Thu Jan 25, 12:49:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

waking up at 6am to stand in the snow for 3 hours was the best decision i ever made.

Thu Jan 25, 01:57:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I am surprised there isn't some sort of queue system in place... but I guess that is far too logical and convenient.

Better hurry up Mark -- they just released A Link To The Past on the emulator and they are going to be debuting a news channel this weekend!

Thu Jan 25, 11:26:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

If I get the VC LTTP, I think that will be like the third or fourth time I've bought the game.

You win Nintendo, you win!

Fri Jan 26, 08:35:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I've decided to start putting the cart before the horse. I already bought Zelda and a second Wii Remote, and I have component cables and two more Nunchuks on their way from Nintendo. Once I find a Wii and then buy Wii Play (February 15th) I'll have nearly a complete set.

Fri Jan 26, 12:18:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

solution plus a few $ maybe

Fri Jan 26, 02:58:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

It's okay, no eBay. I can wait. I'm moving next week anyway, so chances are I won't be able to play much anyway.

Fri Jan 26, 03:48:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home