Thursday, January 11, 2007

Well... He Was A Skater Boy

I have yet to really play any of the biggest games of the year. Getting married, moving, working full time and so much else sidelined a lot of my pop culture hobbies. Plus I just don’t spend much money on games anymore. Except, of course, for the Nintendo DS.


NEW Super Mario Bros.

It isn’t perfect, but I’m happy. It is the only 2-D Mario game in about a decade. As much as I love Super Mario 64, there’s always something special about playing Mario the way Mario is (perhaps) meant to be played. A definite classic and one of the few games in a number of years that I’ve wanted to not only beat, but complete.


Elite Beat Agents

It is just a rhythm game. And you do have to suffer through some major crap songs (cough... Avril Lavigne... cough). But it’s fun and funny. The comic book-esque story and the overall over-the-top characters are just that good.


Tetris DS

Online Tetris that doesn’t suck. Finally. While I’m not fan of the infinite spin (and, thereby, infinite gameplay) this is a solid Tetris game overall. And it incorporates all the enhancements of the last classic Tetris game, Tetris 64. While most of the new modes are nothing to speak of (Push perhaps being the exception), Tetris DS does use the second screen to show classic NES games that actually animated based on how well you play. Totally unnecessary –– but cool.



Wii Sports (and the Nintendo Wii)

Basic graphics. Basic gameplay. Basically just fun. I have already seen people of all ages enjoy this game. From my 5 year old niece who is somehow better at Bowling that all of the rest of us. To my parents, who were enticed to try the Wii for themselves. I suppose playing really is believing.

Oh yes. And Rachel wanted me to mention that she likes it.


Not on the list (and why)


Brain Age

I’ve traded the game to Logan already. The “game” is exactly what it says it is. And that is to say it’s not a “game.” I like games with objectives mostly.


The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I still don’t have a Wii, and I see no reason to play the game on a Gamecube. Soon enough.


Gears of War

I don’t have an Xbox 360 either. Don’t know that I will anytime soon either. But I’ve played a few minutes of Gears and it was pretty damn cool.


Bully

I’ve heard that this is a great game that actually adds something to the GTA mold. But it’s on the PS2.


Okami

Supposedly an absolutely brilliant Zelda-esque platformer with beautiful art direction. Again, a PS2 title. But one that may eventually end up on the Wii (fingers crossed).

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Who in your family owns the Wii?

Sat Jan 13, 01:56:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Brandon... of course. He called me today and asked me if he should buy a PS3. He had gone to Bestbuy, just because, and they had them in stock.

I said, NO DEAL!

Sat Jan 13, 04:34:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Isn't Brandon the target market? And Bluray is the future!

Sat Jan 13, 11:45:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home