Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"I’m gonna come after you like a spider monkey.”

Talladega Nights

Logan probably hates this movie because apparently he killed his adolescent sense of humor dead. In the conservatory. With the candlestick. For those of us with well developed and cosmopolitan senses of humor, however, Ricky Bobby’s rise, fall, and rise again is the stuff of legends.

Stranger Than Fiction

The “other” Will Ferrell movie. Which is to say features Will Ferrell but, strangely, Will Ferrell is not playing “Will Ferrell.” I absolutely hate movies and books about writers who are writing a movie or book. Stranger Than Fiction is kind of like that, except it’s great and I love it.

The difference is that this movie competently shows the actual struggle of writing in an interesting, non-cliché manner. It seamlessly satirizes AND illustrates the types of subtle characterization in good writing, and the meaning and importance of audience expectation. The entire case is impressive and the ending is both satisfying and –– dare I say it –– happy.

The Devil Wears Prada

I know this is going to titillate, but this was easily my favorite movie of 2006. Sure, it’s the same cliché story about a “good” person who gets wrapped up in some shallow or “bad” thing, only to realize it and stop themselves from completely changing. The amazing performances by Stanley Tucci and Meryl Streep and the wit of the script separate this movie from its genre siblings. Plus it features Vincent Chase, so it has that cool Entourage connection.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

You know, Stranger Than Fiction is one of those movies I avoided because the trailer looked like Kaufman-lite, but so far I have heard nothing but good things.

Oh that, and because I hate WIll Ferrell (although strangely, I didn't really mind Talladega).

And how could you possibly say that my "adolescent sense of humor dead?" Eurotrip is my favorite movie of all time!

Thu Jan 11, 12:16:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Three words: Anchorman.

Thu Jan 11, 08:26:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home