Monday, January 08, 2007

Yellow matter custard

My favorite new band discovery. Rogue Wave. A Sub Pop band I found because a few of their songs playing during Heroes (a.k.a. the best show on TV) episodes. They have a similar sound to many of the other Sub Pop bands I listen to. Slightly dreamy and intellectual, with a generally modest effusiveness (if there is such a thing).

I feel extremely happy having found both albums, which enjoyed a rare 30 consecutive days in my stereo. I highly recommend them to everyone.

My favorite albums from 2006, in no ranked order, are as follows:


Gnarls Barkley
“St. Elsewhere”

Somewhere between the “Crazy” back beats, the geek heavy lyrics and the overall smooth dreary style is one of the better albums I’ve heard in a long time. This album comes closest to the whimsy of Danger Mouse’s “The Grey Album.” (Something mostly lacking from the last Gorillaz album.)

I just hope Danger Mouse makes another Gnarls Barkley album

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins
“Rabbit Fur Coat”

A little Loretta Lynn, a little Indie Rock. Almost uncannily mixing a soft country or gospel style with Jenny Lewis’ trademark ironic sarcasm, there’s just something so interesting about a spiritual album about most likely not believing in God.

I love almost every song on this album.

The Beatles
“Love”

It isn’t really even their concept. And the actual band members, not surprisingly, were not directly involved.

Yet it’s amazing. Lush. Surprising. Fun. Reflective. And everything you’d expect from The Beatles. Except, if you’re a big fan, nothing is exactly “new.” Thing is, that’s part of the brilliance of “Love.” At it’s core, a remix album by George and Giles Martin. But there’s something mildly challenging about its construction. My complaint is that it doesn’t push the boundaries enough. I want more.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Well, your wish will come true, as Gnarls are currently working on their next album. Personally, I prefer my Danger Mouse with a splash of Albarn (see the new album The Good, The Bad and The Queen for Damon's impeccable taste in supergroups).

[And only because I know you are a perfectionist -- you have a broken html image tag in your Beatles section.]

Mon Jan 08, 04:30:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Huh, I don't see a broken html tag.

Mon Jan 08, 09:08:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I guess Safari is pickier than Firefox -- you have a img src to a location on your desktop in front of your Beatles image. Really, whatever. But we don't want to be embarrassed when we enter the Blogger Hall of Fame.

What's up with Google getting all up in Blogger's grill by the way?

Mon Jan 08, 10:24:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I don't know... Google must be finally trying to take over our lives and take their rightful place as the new evil corporation.

Tue Jan 09, 08:32:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

And seriously man, Safari?

Firefox 2.0 works, has a built in spell check, puts RSS feeds into functional live folders and all in all doesn't suck (and Safari does).

Tue Jan 09, 09:34:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

GOOGLE = SKYNET. Why lie?

Is there anyway to make the labels less intrusive? I would like them if they were incorporated into the date/comments tag.

And Safari sucks, but it has all of my passwords :(

Tue Jan 09, 03:12:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

As you can guess... I really like the tags. If we start tagging it will be a lot easier to link back to old articles.

And I find them unobtrusive. I don't think one little line really breaks the spell of any of our posts –– no matter how well written.

Of course, I advocated a tagging system before Google made it real. More proof that I should probably make more money than I do.

Tue Jan 09, 03:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Also, what do you think of the new gray bar?

Tue Jan 09, 04:26:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I prefer Blue, but I don't really care either way.

Do you mind if I at least change the font/size of the tags so there is a visual break from the actual post?

Tue Jan 09, 05:30:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home