Wednesday, January 10, 2007

2007, In Review: TV or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the war

President Bush committed over 20,000 additional troops to Iraq tonight, saying they will really do the trick. He made mistakes, Bush said, conceding that we sent too few troops and resources to control the violence in 2006. But this year will be different.

It's a terrible thing. Bush made it so bad in Iraq that we're sending more troops to kill and be killed in order to restore some kind of order. My mind fills with images of bullets puncturing flesh, bombs leveling buildings, and bodies being dragged away by weeping family members, the blood of the dead leaving a brushed red trail on the pummeled ground. Why send more to die and kill if we're just going to leave in a year or two anyway? Will 20,000 more troops make it that much better? I doubt it. Maybe 250,000 could do it. But only maybe. And what does it mean to do it, to win in Iraq? Sounds like it means killing all the insurgents. That's everyone willing to stand up against American policy in their country. Who knows how many deaths that would/could/will be.

I'm about as liberal as they come, and at the end of the brief telecast on NBC, I felt sad and confused. I don't know what should be done. I don't know what to do.

Then, quite suddenly, I heard the voice of Howie Mandel.

"Deal, or no deal?," he asked, and poof. My mind was at ease. Iraq went away, tucked in some distant corner of my brain next to Disney's Aladdin.

Thank god for the comfort of network television.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

You probably should have watched CBS.

Thu Jan 11, 12:09:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

If you had cable you could have totally not watched that Presidential speech thing. Cable doesn't waste it's time with political stuff.

Except I did hear on E! that "the Dubya" is now less popular than "K Fed."

Thu Jan 11, 09:33:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

They showed the NBC transition from the address to Deal or No Deal on The Daily Show.

Yeah, that was pretty bad.

Sat Jan 13, 01:55:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No DEAL!

Sat Jan 13, 02:57:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

proof that i could/should write for the daily show. (the guy who runs the production company for daily show and culbert report lives on my block, and his daughter is my cousin's best friend).

Sat Jan 13, 07:12:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home