Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Radiodread

I was going to write a post about why I don't care about the new Radiohead album, but I'm not going to.

That would be like writing a blog post about why you still don't like that Ex-girlfriend you broke up with four years ago. There's really nothing new to say, even though she commented on the baby photos your friend just posted on Facebook. She didn't even say anything stupid or offensive. It just reminded you for five passionate minutes about how you still don't like her.

That's how I feel about Radiohead.

The other day I was all fired up because the same band that people were hailing for striking out against traditional business models with a 99/1 variant was going to charge $14 for WAV files. (Not OGG or lossless, mind you, WAV.)

Or that the band that is loudly against nuclear power and high electricity consumption is still sticking to an online-only distribution model.

Or that the band that is so outspoken against consumption and consumerism in general is selling a disposable "collectible" version of the album to the hardcore fans for $50.

Yeah. Of course it still irritates you that your Ex would pull out her Esperanto at dinner parties to start conversations. Or how she couldn't take a joke and how she'd correct you when she knew you were being ironic.

But it's time to move on. And, anyway, your current favorite is a lot more interesting.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

I like WAV files because I can do whatever I want with them. I also loved In Rainbows and am digging Limbs but am bummed it's so short.

I've tried to like Arcade Fire in the past (even going so far as to twice see them live) and just can't get into it. What am I missing?

Tue Feb 22, 03:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I get that with Arcade Fire. (I'm honestly not as interested in them as I was in Radiohead at the peak of my fandom... could be an age thing, could be a talent/music thing. Not sure.) I don't think you are missing anything, but the existential questions they raise just might not be what you're thinking about right now. To me, it's all about the internal conflict of living a comfortable, average suburban family life when you also feel opposed to that. Sort of.

WAV files aren't that bad. That was more of an attack on their nerd cred. Definitely a demerit.

Wed Feb 23, 04:29:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I understand being tired of Radiohead and all, but your criticisms are a bit forced.

$14 for WAVs? Buy the MP3s for $9. Or buy the CD/Vinyl in stores if you want. It is not online only. And Radiohead's anti-consumerist stance was a reference to No Logo 12 years ago and even that was more about acknowledging the contradictions than a guiding philosophy.

You might not be moved by their music at all and the fact that every Radiohead album is an "event" might be tiresome, but pick your stones better!

I am on the same page as Goldsmith. Love the Radiohead sound, just a bit let down that the album seems so brief after such a long gap in between records. (Although there are some rumblings that we might see more.)

As for the Arcade Fire, I put them in the same camp as U2, Coldplay, et all. They are great if they connect with you emotionally, maudlin if not. Suburbs had some good tracks but way too much filler.

Thu Feb 24, 09:56:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

It's online only until March 29. I will probably buy the album once it's available from Amazon MP3, and probably for less than $9.

Like I said before, WAV format just shows that they've lost their nerd cred.

A bit forced? I totally thought you'd take my side in this break-up Logan. I'm hurt. Wounded even.

Thu Feb 24, 10:16:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

(Nice Dream) Mark. Sorry for leaving you High And Dry, but I think you were a bit too Optimistic there: Pop Is Dead. No Surprises there. I mean Anyone Can Play Guitar, why don't you Stop Whispering and Prove Yourself. You might find that you are Fitter Happier and are no longer Climbing Up the Walls. Unless you are a Vegetable and confess, "I Can't!"

OK Computer, I'm done.

Thu Feb 24, 10:42:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Logan, you're such a Creep.

Thu Feb 24, 03:31:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home