Friday, February 11, 2011

. . . and 1.


I caught the Jazz-Bulls game on tape-delay Thursday morning, so it was a bit of a shock to hop on Twitter to find rumors circulating that Jerry Sloan AND Phil Johnson were going to be resigning that afternoon.

I had to fight back a spit-take across my computer keyboard. The loss was a sucker punch to be sure, but mostly because the Jazz let it slip away from them with missed FTs and untimely turnovers. A typical Jazz loss; nothing to resign over.

24 hours later and I am still in shock. I can't even imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like in Energy Solutions Arena tonight.

We all knew this day was coming. I had my money on it happening during the inevitable 2012-2013 walkout year with Deron Williams heading for greener jersey-selling pastures. But in the middle of a season? From a team that was only one bad East coast trip away from being one of the top seeds in the West?

As with the Fisher situation, we will probably never learn all of the details. Still: unnamed sources aside, this looks really bad for Williams. He has done a decent job with damage control today, but if he leaves after his contract is finished, I fear he will be saddled with the responsibility for the implosion of a franchise. Just imagine the heel turn he will take among Jazz fans when he returns to Energy Solutions Arena in an opposing team's uniform.

Best not to think of it I guess. Instead, I will imagine fondly that somewhere out there Sloan is currently like a dizzy duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home