Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Caring Is Creepy

The Office: It's too early to really say much about this season of The Office. So far, due to the worthless presidential debates, there has only been one hour long episode. But it was great. Jim and Pam got engaged. And all the characters continued to display the complexity that makes this show as great as it is.

Heroes: Heroes painfully crossed a tipping point last year between the "real" superhero concept of the first season and actual comic book style narratives. This season it safely reached the comic book side. Which means that we're now seeing time travel, metamorphoses, alternative timelines, deaths and rebirths, good characters inexplicably becoming evil and vice-versa. In other words it's becoming X-Men. I'd think these changes could be somewhat of a draw for anyone with an encyclopedic X-Men knowledge. If such a person reads this blog.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Still hilarious, although the show seems to be running into kind of a Simpsons problem. (You just can't be shocked by a character once you've seen them live through enough zany antics, or — in this case — once you've seen them smoke crack, bang a she-male or write a classic song about a visit from the "Night Man.") And poor sweet Dee. They just don't seem to know what to do with her most of the time.

Mad Men: The best show on television at the moment. Sure it apes the narrative style of The Sopranos. But shouldn't more shows? I love almost everything about this show. The setting. The style. The characters. I'd hope that everyone is already watching this show. Shame on you if you're not. And don't let the newfound hype bother you. It really is that good.

Kitchen Nightmares: I would say the only reality show I watch, but I can say only the best reality show I watch. Chef Ramsey knows his stuff, and I'm continuously amazed how well he can turn around crappy, struggling restaurants.

Fringe: I'm already done with Fringe. I watched the first few episodes and they weren't bad. But they weren't very good either. I actually think that I'd keep watching the show if the main character, played by Anna Torv, died. She terrible. I can't quite tell if it's bad acting, bad writing or some combination thereof. But she's just this lame, archetypal female FBI agent that comes off as a... umm... lame, archetypal ripoff of Scully or Clarice. Hell, the whole show is just a ripoff of the X-Files, except it isn't aliens and the Government. It's scientists and corporation. Also, just a guess, but obviously the mega-genius father to Joshua Jackson set up the whole "pattern" before he got himself institutionalized and lost himself his mind.

The Big Bang Theory: Another Chuck Lorre show (like Two and a Half Men). And another funny show that is what it is, says a few things, but primarily aspires to be funny. Mission accomplished.

Bad Timing: Chuck, Dirty Sexy Money and Pushing Daisies. My DVR didn't record the first half of the first Chuck. Which means watching it on the computer, then catching up. It hasn't happened yet. Likewise, my DVR chose not to record the 1st new Dirty Sexy Money. I'll probably watch the second tonight. Or I may wait, use the computer, then catch up. I watched half of a Pushing Daisies tonight. I'm intrigued. I'll create a series recording on the old DVR.

"Good Old Rock": Two and a Half Men and House. I don't really feel the need to elaborate on either show. I watch them. They keep my interest and they keep me entertained. I wish I could say the same about my Wii.

Gone or Forgotten: My Name Is Earl, How I Met Your Mother, Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad. I don't know who Fox' animation is dominating on Sunday, but it isn't me. It's hard to watch any show when you can't tell the difference between the new episodes and the old episodes. My Name Is Earl has just lost it's touch. Much like with Malcolm in the Middle, quirky can only take you so far. And How I Met Your Mother. I remember writing a few years ago that it would be better if Ted weren't the main character and it was an ensemble show. Still true, except Ted is now irritating enough that I can't stand watching it. It's like if you turned the movie Swingers into a long-lasting sitcom. (Read: torture.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cinnamon Buns said...

I love Pushing Daisies. That show is amazing. So cool.

Fri Oct 10, 08:20:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home