Tuesday, September 16, 2008

You Don't Have to Take My Word for It

The San Francisco Chronicle describes the Avett Brothers' sound as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones."

I'm a bit late in recommending their 2007 album Emotionalism, but you should check it out anyway. It's not really the style of music to which I would normally be drawn, but it is good. Very good. It needed to give it a couple of listens and let it grow on me, but now I listen to it all the time, and love it every time. Genre-wise it's kind of confounding. Certainly there's folk there, some good old fashioned rock, punk rock elements. . . whatever, just listen to it. My favorite track is probably "I Would Be Sad," but apparently I'm the only one 'cuz I can't find it online. Here's a youtube link to "Paranoia in B Flat Major." If you like that check out "Pretty Girl From Chile," then just get the whole album.

The Midnight Organ Fight has got to be the best euphemism I've heard since bumpin' uglies. As good as the euphemism is, the album, by Scottish outfit Frightened Rabbit, is better. It reminds me of how I felt listening to The National's Boxer, although I think this album is even better. And I really liked Boxer. I think "I Feel Better" is the single, but I like "Keep Yourself Warm" and "The Modern Leper" more. Again though, you're really better off with the whole album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home