Monday, October 06, 2008

I Care Because You Don't

Thank you writers' strike. Zero new TV shows appeal to me this year. Zero.

I might eventually check out the pilot for Fringe. Actually, that is a lie. Why would anybody want to get invested into another J. J. Abrams project?

Beyond that, I don't even know where to begin. 90210? I'll leave that to Mark.

Shows I will think about following this season in order of most to least apathy:

Heroes: I still haven't bothered watching the first two episodes and something tells me I probably never will. All of the previews NBC runs during Sunday Night Football lead me to believe this show is completely bankrupt on ideas and woefully overreacting to its terrible second season. I doubt it is an accident that the series went downhill after Bryan Fuller ("Company Man") left to spearhead Pushing Daisies. I'll trust one of you to be the canary in the coal-mine for this season.

Entourage: Ditto -- although I have seen the first few episodes and they mostly suck -- but replace Bryan Fuller with Larry Charles. HBO needs some fresh blood and a gothic vampire series with Mark's favorite actress, Anna Paquin, isn't going to cut it. [I should say, however, that Generation Kill is worth watching if you are a fan of The Wire.]

The Office: I think we (and by we, I mean mostly Mark) have covered the American version of The Office enough on this blog. Wasn't there supposed to be a crossover with the British version at some point last season? Did it get the axe due to the abridged season? It is a cute idea, but very The Flintstones meet The Jetsons (or for you Generation Y kids: very Poochie). I haven't thought about this show in a year, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Survivor: "Good old rock. Nothing beats that!" In HD now. Plus Nell and I are watching it together.

Reaper: Severely underrated. I mean you can't get any more underdog than being on the CW (unless your series begins with G and ends in ossip Girl). I wish there were more shows like this on network television, but I guess the high school/college audience doesn't drive in the advertising revenue like it used to. This is the kind of series I would have loved ten years ago.

Pushing Daisies: Utterly charming. I am surprised I haven't Netflixed Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me -- high-concept serials unjustly terminated in their prime seem right up my alley. On a side note, Bryan Fuller recently revealed in an interview that he got his start in television by sending a spec script to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Mad respect.

30 Rock: 7 Emmy wins. Sarah Palin skits. This season has huge expectations to live up to. I have to give NBC some credit: (ignoring the fact that the show is one big corporate circle jerk) the network has been fairly lenient with its stay of execution despite the abysmal ratings [Not that an Emmy guarantees safety from cancellation. *Cough*].

Mad Men: The season is almost over, sure. But it has been quite good. Matthew Weiner (COL holla!) has been cribbing his narrative arcs from David Chase, so expect all the action in a Soprano-style penultimate episode of the season.

Dexter: I can't even imagine what direction the show could possibly take after the kitchen-sink approach to ratcheting up the narrative tension in Season 2. I might have mentioned somewhere on this blog that Michael C. Hall is an acting god.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: The two most watched shows on Hulu? Anyone? Well, you probably guessed it. Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. No mere coincidence. Arrested Development will always bear the cross of being an internet-minded series in a pre-digital video distribution age. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, on the hand, was just green-lighted for three more seasons. Small comfort, I know. Just let Night Man gently cradle you to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home