Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Do You Shuffle?

I used to hate the shuffle function on my ipod.

I would imagine there are many others who use shuffle way more than I do, but I must admit I have enjoyed "shuffle all songs" on my ipod recently. See, right around finals last semester my car decided it didn't really like third gear and it just wasn't going to let me use it anymore. Or, more accurately, if I tried to use it such an attempt would be protested loudly and violently. I had recently acquired a 1980's era road bike and, since summer was upon me, and I was feeling a certain combination of environmental consciousness, anti-establishment rebellion, and bank account emptiness, I decided I would forgo fixing the Jeep and use my legs and pedals (and public transit) to get around until I got too sick of it, or it got too cold.

There's a lot more I could say about biking in SLC, but I guess that's a different post. . . . The point is there are times, especially when I'm riding my bike, that I like to shuffle. (Always with only the right ear bud in, which is a loss for stereo, but a gain for safety.) I like not knowing what song is coming next. I like being surprised by the quality of a track that I had overlooked or forgotten about. I even like the variety of hearing a different artist for every song.

There are, of course, trade-offs. Shuffle feels lazy and indecisive to me. Worse, if a song comes on that I don't want to listen to I can't just change it while I'm riding. There is something more satisfying to me about the experience of listening to an album from start to finish. (But is it the right time to appreciate your music when you're trying to navigate the awful potholes of Utah roads and dodge oblivious Utah drivers?)

Anyway, as I've had a bit of a change of heart on this subject I've wondered where others come down in the debate to shuffle or not to shuffle. So do you?

4 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

I shuffle all the time. And I have for years. I've even gone as far as having iTunes create wholly shuffled audio MP3 CDs for my car.

For me, it has to do with my OCD/irrational hatred of certain structures and patterns. With Shuffle, I never know what's coming next. And I like that. It tickles part of my brain by giving me new things (even though it's usually the same old music).

Of course, there is a time for everything and I listen to albums a lot too.

Next ethical dilemma question: Safety over stereo? Really?

Wed Aug 06, 08:21:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

Sorry, I do feel like I need to hear out of my left ear at least. I like to be able to hear cars coming up behind me so I can decide whether to stay where I am or brave the rocks and broken glass in the gutters.

Safety is of course relative when you're riding a bike among cars. I probably shouldn't listen to music at all, but I do. The same argument could be applied to driving a car too though, you're probably safer without the radio on.

I actually like riding at night more because I can see the light of a car coming up behind me. Plus I think people notice the blinking red light more than a bicycle and rider.

Wed Aug 06, 11:06:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger jsl said...

For me, road trips and workouts are a great time for shuffling. But, typically, I choose the songs I want to listen to.

PS - B, I'd be disappointed if you didn't leave one earbud out.

Fri Aug 08, 08:41:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

The first iPod shuffle was pretty sweet -- all you had to do was plug it into your computer, have it grab some random songs, eject and be on your way.

Being reminded of random songs is always a plus, and it really forces you to break free of the musical ruts you sometime falls into.

But, I think I would qualify Brad's questions a little bit:

Shuffling + Smart Playlists = FTW

There is nothing worse than getting stuck with filler tracks (The College Dropout's "Workout Plan").

Also, I love how iTunes has a sliding scale on how random you want your randomness to be.

Mon Aug 11, 11:28:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home