Thursday, July 24, 2008

Tardy Is The New Timely

Back in early 2006, I decided to report on the upcoming albums from some of my favorite artists.

It was one of my weaker posts.

Two years later and a couple of those albums still haven't been released. As such, I thought it would be fun to catch up with some of those bands.

It will be another one of my weaker posts.

Radiohead - In Rainbows was released like a bolt from the blue and changed music forever. [Or something like that.] And everybody loved it. [Except Mark, but he is a bit of a contrarian.] It does seem a bit ridiculous that they are still touring on the same material two years later, but as I have learned, Radiohead fans can't get enough of their Thom Yorke. I guess we will have to wait and see if their new freedom will see them follow Trent Reznor's prolific footsteps. Somehow I doubt that.

Junior Boys - Junior Boys certainly know how to keep fans/me happy between albums. A few tours. A brilliant iTunes exclusive EP. A remix EP featuring some real top shelf remixers. A smooth DJ compilation. And now Greenspan has an extended cameo appearance on Morgan Geist's new album, Double Night Time. It is like a transmission from an alternative universe in which Geist stepped into Dark's shoes instead of Didemus. Expect an announcement for the new album in the next few months.

Annie - After four years of anticipation, it looks like the sequel to Anniemal is finally upon us. Not that it really matters, I guess. Good pop is good pop. Look at Robyn who is just hitting our airwaves after dropping the Knife produced "Who's That Girl" back in 2005 (speaking of which, she stills owes Portland a concert since she ditched out on us to appear on The View -- no seriously). Don't Stop sounds extraordinarily promising. Awesome new logo (taking cues from Goldfrapp), check. Ridiculous overhyping by online music journal, check. Duet with Fredrik Saroea of Datarock (best opening band of 2008), double check. There is a MP3 megamix sample floating around, but I have decided save myself for the entire album.

The Rapture - Not much to report except for the one-off Timbaland collaboration (!?), "No Sex For Ben", which appeared on the GTA IV soundtrack (!?!?). This is pure b-side material, but I welcome anything from the greatest band of all time.

Primal Scream - I hope we have all successfully purged Riot City Blues from our memories and iTunes libraries. It was the kind of miscalculated disaster from which most bands would never recover. Luckily, the principal virtue of Primal Scream's music has never been consistency, but variety. Thus, while Massive Attack and Annie are still working on the albums I talked about two years ago, Gillespie and crew (minus Shields) have already released a followup. I'll spare you the suspense: Beautiful Future is about on par with Evil Heat. The highlights, not coincidentally, were produced by Paul Epworth (aka. Phones, aka. Best British Producer). Sure I am disappointed, but this might be the perfect time to catch Primal Scream live, as their new material seems like a great jumping off point to revisit their back-catalogue (unlike the XTMNTR/Evil Heat era which re-invisioned everything in menacing gun-metal grey).

Dj Shadow - Despite saying two years ago that I would like to see Davis stateside, I am probably going to skip out on his concert with Cut Chemist tomorrow night. Sorry bro.

Massive Attack - Early word of mouth on the new live material has been fairly positive, but given the sheer amount of guest appearances and the extended incubation time, it is hard to imagine what the soon to be renamed The Weather Underground is going to sound like. I am disappointed that the early rumors of Sitek helping with production didn't come to fruition (Dear Science, will have to suffice), but this surely will be one of the most anticipated albums of whatever year (or decade) in which this is eventually released.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home