Monday, March 03, 2008

"Go without, 'til the need seeps in"

You may remember my last update on my NPV from last November. My goal, at the time, was to have a $0 NPV by January.

Well, I did and didn't meet my goal. I paid off our Saturn. But then acquired $2500 in unexpected debt. (That isn't so bad, without insurance I'd have about $50,000 in new debt.)

So, perhaps unsurprisingly, my current NPV is actually -$2,800. A small bit higher than it was a few months ago. Which is somewhat distressing. (Not nearly as much progress as I'd liked to have made.)

Now I'm considering selling the Civic to buy a cheaper car. The Civic has maybe $4,000-$5,000 in equity. So I could get a fairly nice car and have a much smaller payment... which would help me pay everything off sooner.

I've also taken the opportunity to start selling my game collection. I still have an irrational block when I think about selling some of my classic N64, SNES and PSX games, although a few are worth a pretty penny at this point.

Perhaps in another few months I'll be further on my way. But for now, I'm not too upset considering the progress I've already made... even if it doesn't show up in my NPV.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised your insurance isn't trying to claim they're not liable for a "pre-existing" condition. Greedy HMOs.

Anyway, all things considered man I think you're doing well. Without the effort from November you'd be around -$5k right? Congratulations.

Mon Mar 03, 03:49:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only way to be debt free in this country is to live on the streets.Quit being too concerned about debt it will always be there in some form. Enjoy what you have including the Honda.

Tue Mar 04, 10:18:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger inutero said...

Seriously...this is what you write about? It sounds like somebody needs to dip into their trust fund.

Tue Mar 04, 09:54:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Unknown said...

i agree with anonymous

Tue Mar 04, 09:54:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous is not autonomous. . .

i'm the hip-hopopotamus, my rhymes are bottomless.

i agree that we shouldn't overstress ourselves, (or that Mark specifically shouldn't) but somebody in this country has got to stop living like debt is inevitable, if not we're just keep borrowing from China, Japan, and Germany - the dollar's gonna get weaker and weaker and then the apocalypse.

maybe not quite like that, but we do, as a country have to stop thinking it's so okay to spend money we don't have. (i understand that's not exactly what anonymous said, it's more of general commentary.)

Wed Mar 05, 09:42:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I'm with Brad. I think anonymous is totally wrong for wanted the U.S. to increase their debt with China!

And, honestly, Brad is on to my whole point. I don't want to have the mentality that I can just pay for something later. So, while I may keep the Honda because it's a good reliable car and it will save me money in the long run, I don't ever want to feel attached to my debt.

Also, inutero, I use NPV because it includes my "trust fund," which, incidentally, isn't enough to cover all the medical bills at the moment... although I'm honestly thinking about using it to just slice that debt away. iMac be damned!

Wed Mar 05, 05:19:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Uh oh. The Googlers have found us.

It is time to shut down the blog are start over.

Thu Mar 06, 04:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

Whatever Mark. There is no way out of this, well maybe. Talk to Orlando, he seems to have figured it out. And stop being a baby! That amount is nothing! Wait until you have kids and all of your carefully made plans go to hell when they need to go to the emergency room or something.

Fri Mar 07, 08:17:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home