Wednesday, February 06, 2008

23mm

Rachel had a hole in her heart since birth. But I didn't know about it until December 11th, 2007.

Something congenital like that plays with your mind. The day before I knew, the same risk existed. But afterwards, it was only a different thing.

One of the hardest things to get used after you fall in love, get married, and spend most of your time with a single person is how it changes the way you think about things.

At this point in time, I'd much rather have bad things happen to me than to any friends or family. I feel I'm much better equipped to deal with something bad myself than I am to watch someone close deal with something bad. Especially Rachel. (I know that there's something in that thought that borders on arrogance.)

But, now, the hole in Rachel's heart is fixed. (That's not a metaphor, BTW.)

Of course, there's more to the story than this. For now, though, here's a picture of the device installed in her heart.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger n s tessman said...

I'm glad you did this. You created this space to maintain relationships through writing (at least in part), and it should go without saying that it should be a place where you can be comfortable talking about this sort of thing. I need to work on feeling that way.

Also, I am very happy Rachel is okay.

Wed Feb 06, 11:31:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pretty cool that they can implant something like that and fix a heart. maybe ian isn't so much of a sellout after all.

Thu Feb 07, 12:22:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home