Thursday, January 31, 2008

Some thoughts on thinking...

Originally the goal of this blog could have been prosaically summarized by a pithy Lao Tzu (or Laozi) quote: "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."

This one feel more appropriate right now: "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

I didn't have a goal with the blog. I started it as a way to keep myself writing and to help me develop a casual voice. Then, I invited Logan to start writing. I don't remember when or how. Nell was invited next. Ben soon afterwards. And then Sam. I don't remember how that happened either. I'd still like to invite Brad to write.

And I'm happy that I did. It's been a nice, albeit passive, way to keep in touch with everyone.

Lately, though, there is a different vibe on the blog. There seems to be a lot of negativity and anger in comments or posts... but never a post about what could cause that. Instead just a bunch of shallower (not necessarily shallow) posts about pop culture. I like those posts. But I like the mix that we used to have.

Something struck me when talking to Logan about Rachel's heart surgery. He said that it wasn't really something I could write about on the blog. Which I agreed with.

Now I'm not so sure.

I definitely didn't want to tell everyone passively, through the blog, about the hole in Rachel's heart and the procedure to fix it. But it's absolutely something that I want to write about.

Either that, or it may be time to give this blog up.

I'm not exactly sure.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give it up, everything goes in cycles and this might just be a flow of the pendulum in that negative direction. What can we expect with such gloomy weather and the grayness that comes with it.

Sun Feb 03, 10:09:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, would welcome a post (like this one) as a place to express my well wishes for you both. But really I shouldn't have waited for one, I've found myself thinking about you two a lot ever since you told me about Rachel's heart. Perhaps due to my own passivity I haven't given you the call I should have or brought over the cookies or dinner or whatever that should have been brought.

My vote, you keep posting. And I'm calling you as soon as I get off work.

Mon Feb 04, 04:26:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I like the old mix too. [Although you seem to have forgot that month when half of the blog was my Netflix Two Cent Reviews!]

Tue Feb 05, 12:30:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I was thinking about this some more last night, and I sort have to agree with anonymouse.

I tend to following the blogging muse, and sometimes it guides me to the shallow posts we all know and love, and sometimes it guides me to the psychoanalytical couch. But it also doesn't hurt to have it pointed out that we have been drifting a little too far in one direction recently.

Tue Feb 05, 09:30:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home