Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Wes Anderson School of Design

For about the first ten minutes, I thought I was in for a weak Wes Anderson "homage" (or "knock-off" to those of you who are less generous). Then the movie started to make sense.


Unlike Anderson's last few movies, Juno is less about being quirky than the actual situation and characters. There is the quirkiness, the odd dialogue, the random pop culture similes, that the movie has become known for. But, after that first ten minutes, it doesn't feel like the film expects you to accept those elements as the characters. The characters, instead, are given things to do. People to meet. Situations to interact with.

In the end, Juno becomes a great film because it focuses on the quirkiness of having something you don't want and wanting something you can't have. That may sound trite, but let's face it. If you read a synopses of the movie, it sounds like a Lifetime movie. So just take my word that there is a depth in the mundane. And it's quite touching.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I just want to go on record and say that I really did not like Juno. None of the characters were remotely interesting or likeable or real. I never want to hear characters talk about music again. And I may shoot myself if I hear another Moldy Peaches song.

Thu Jan 03, 01:46:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Let the record show that Logan has no heart.

Fri Jan 04, 09:09:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

That's not true. I cried during Smoking Aces.

Fri Jan 04, 10:15:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home