Thursday, November 09, 2006

Objects of Lust: Penguin Graphic Classics

In honor of its 60th anniversary, Penguin Books has begun reissuing texts (in a seemingly random fashion) in a new Graphic Classics series.

Penguin Classics have always been a bit stodgy. The translations are usually serviceable, but the designs are atrocious: from the passable typeface to the uninspired spines.

But these new Classics Deluxe Editions are absolutely gorgeous:



Each book features a cover illustration by a notable graphic artist (Frank Miller designed Gravity's Rainbow), as well as delightful French Flaps and rough fronts.

I hope you will forgive me for pimping out Penguin, but I have been enamored with these books since I picked them up this afternoon. A book lover's dream!

And if anybody is still struggling to find me a suitable holiday present, might I suggest this: Essential Art House - 50 Years of Janus Films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home