Friday, October 20, 2006

Television FTW

I’ll go against the rest of the world and say this: there are more great shows on TV right now than I can remember at any point in lifetime.

The Office: I’m continually amazed at the superb writing, crackling acting and deadpan brilliance that is the American version of The Office.

This season, I’ve watched every episode of The Office at least four times. Some –– like the “Grief Counseling” episode and the season premiere, “Gay Witch Hunt” –– more. I can’t describe how amazing it is to be able to watch and shows that many times... and in a relatively short amount of time.

I like how simply and elegantly the characters interact within these somewhat over the top situation. The foil that is the Stamford branch, which seemingly has its act together but is just as poorly run as any office anywhere. (Though still perhaps less so than the Scranton branch.) And the way that the Pam-Jim storyline can remain a focus of the show... even though it’s rarely mentioned.

At this point anyone who isn’t watching the show still makes comparisons to the British version of the show should see a doctor –– as they must be suffering from some sort of disorder of the brain and sense of humor.

My only complaint with The Office is that mindless drivel like Grey’s Anatomy and CSI continue to get better ratings. For shame America, for shame.

Heroes: Around the time that the cheerleader was almost raped, fell head first on a sharp wooden stick, only to wake half formed on the autopsy table I realized I’d be watching every episode of this series. Incidentally I must not be alone. The ratings have been solid, and the show has already received a full-season episode order. (For those of you who don’t know, that means that Heroes is safe until next May and, baring any large mid-season ratings drop, is likely to return next year, too.)

I think what impresses me most about the show is that it has opened up what appears to be a comprehensive mythology, that doesn’t feel daunting. You feel like you learn something new and feel fulfilled every week. So unlike Lost, which just piles on new characters and questions, Heroes feels like it’s moving somewhere specific. For now.

My Name Is Earl: I was worried for the first two weeks of the season. It seemed like Earl was trying too hard to pay attention to the loveable minor characters, and not paying enough attention to the list. That’s a problem when it’s so clear that the list is what makes the show work. Fortunately, this has been remedied in the last few episodes. Although I’ll never have the dedication to Earl as I do to The Office, I’ll still take the time to watch it every week. I mean, come on, how many other shows have the same level of wry social and political commentary, a truly multi-cultural cas t and a Mexican Executive Producer?

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: At the bottom of my list for sure. It may not be great. It’s self-important, melodramatic and kind of dumb. But some of the characters are extremely likeable. (Namely Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford, Amanda Peet, D.L. Hughley, Nathan Corddry and Carlos Jacott.) And the show is mostly watchable. I might not be excited to watch it every week like with The Office and Heroes. But I’m still watching. For now.

Mark

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but Heroes had a marathon today in place of Sunday night football. While they may not help you get caught up on the series, it seems like a good indicator that NBC is going to be keeping this show around for awhile (not like the network has many other options...)

I should also mention that I love how the special abilities are distributed among the characters in unexpected ways -- like the cop with telepathy and the indestructable cheerleader, who manages to find a way to die like every episode.

Sun Oct 22, 10:54:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home