Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Harebrained scheme? Perhaps.

After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme...and quick! --Homer Simpson
Working in the internet industry, one can't help but dabble in the precarious business of domain speculation. While there are many different ways to make money by simply owning and parking domain names, the best method, cybersquatting, is, unfortunately, illegal. If you want to try your hand at investing in domain names, these days your best bet is to pick up domains that may, some day, possess value.

I get a super good price on domain names so it's pretty easy for me to snatch them when I find one that looks even remotely appealing. But I have to admit, it's pretty damn addictive. Once you buy one domain it's difficult to fight the urge to buy more. Say, for instance, you purchase the domain retirementlocations.us. Well, what if retirementlocation.us is available? Do you buy that too? Why not, right? Fortunately I'm a bit of a Jew when it comes to spending money on things I can't hold in my hand, and despite a lapse in judgment here and there I'm pretty good at limiting myself to one domain at a time.

Once you purchase a domain there are several things you can do to increase its value. Increasing page rank and the traffic to your domain are the two biggies. If your page rank is high and you get steady traffic to your site, your domain is going to be worth some serious money. One way to build your page rank and get traffic to your domain is to park the domain with a domain parking company. Another way is to develop a website with unique content and drive traffic to the site yourself. If you know me at all, you know I've chosen the former.

It'll be interesting to see if the company I've chosen (Sedo) is able to drive any traffic to my domains. If not, it's probably my fault for choosing shitty domains. I know my domains are far from ideal, but who knows? Maybe in 10 years they'll be worth a fortune. I'll keep you posted.

In the mean time, the more you click on the links on any of my pages, the more money I earn. Depending on the link, I could earn up to $.25 per click! Get me rich, everybody!

bestinternetvalues.com
premoprices.com
online-retirement-solutions.com
your-retirement-planning.com
retirement-info.info
retirement-location.us
retirementlocations.us
baby-boom-retirement.com

4 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

You made some good calls. Baby Boomers are easily the most wasteful generation

You should also nab markweddingphotos.com while you can! And the .nk domains are going to go like hot cakes when North Korea has electricity!

Wed Oct 25, 10:33:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I liked "scheem" better...

Thu Oct 26, 01:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

no, no, go ahead. keep making fun of the retarded kid.

Thu Oct 26, 06:13:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scheem is yiddish right?

Tue Oct 31, 09:57:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home