Monday, November 06, 2006

"Heaven knows, its got to be this time"

New Order is the greatest band ever. There I said it.

That is quite a statement, one I will probably disagree with in a few weeks. But after listening to Age of Consent for the umpteenth time, I find myself struggling to find any aural evidence to the contrary.

The only problem is New Order lacks that definitive album for easy sonic proselytization. Each record has its share of clunkers, usually when Bernard Sumner slips out of his lyrical inscrutability into some laughably terrible couplets.

So, I present you my modest sampler of New Order perfection.

Whenever possible I chose the single edits (except with Crystal -- the 4:21 cut is rushed), but every New Order song has about a dozen variations, so feel free to use whatever mix your heart desires (TV West used the Extended Dance Mix of Bizarre Love Triangle for one of its intros). And there are two glaring omissions: Blue Monday and Temptation, both of which have tremendous historic importance, but I just cannot find myself sitting through.

No - A Modest Sampler:

1. Elegia (Low-Life)
2. Round and Round (Technique)
3. The Perfect Kiss (Low-Life)
4. Ceremony (Ceremony Single)
5. Regret (Republic)
6. Bizarre Love Triangle (Brotherhood)
7. Procession (Procession Single)
8. Age of Consent (Power, Corruption & Lies)
9. Sunrise (Low-Life)
10. Ruined in a Day (Republic)
11. Primitive Notion (Get Ready)
12. Morning Night and Day (Waiting For The Sirens' Call)
13. True Faith (True Faith Single)
14. Crystal (Get Ready)
15. Brutal (The Beach Soundtrack)
16. Everyone Everywhere (Republic)

FYI: True Faith (Morning Sun) is like my favorite song of all time.

And in my continuing pursuit of material objects to fill the spiritual and emotional void in my life, check out the greatest holiday gift ever: Factory Records - The Complete Graphic Album. You will perhaps recognize one of the most iconic images in music history - Peter Seville's Blue Monday sleeve, a replicated computer disc that, in classic anti-capitalist Factory Records tradition, made absolutely no mention of the band. In fact, in Tony Wilson's insistence on the primacy of art, the label actually lost money for each single sold. Naturally, it went on the become the best-selling 12'' release of all time. The collection promises to include every single piece of Factory's output; we will see if that includes FAC 148 (a bucket on a restored watermill) and FAC 253 (a bet between Wilson and Gretton).

If any of you want to learn more about Factory Records, but found 24 Hour Party People too hilarious, might I suggest the excellent documentary Shadowplayers. It's twice the Tony Wilson with none of the Happy Mondays!

9 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

I quite love the song Ceremony... is the single version different? More like the Joy Division version? Shorter?

Also, can the Happy Mondays be that bad? DARE by the Gorillaz was an awesome song.

Tue Nov 07, 09:39:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

You are actually thinking of the New Order version... the only Joy Division rendition of the song that I know of is on the Heart and Soul box set, which I believe is from a rehersal.

There are two slightly different versions of Ceremony -- the first is the 4:34 7'' single, and the second is the re-recorded 4:24 12'' single when Gillian Gilbert joined the band. You are probably more familiar with the later which is featured on most of the New Order compilations like Substance. But the differences are in the mixing, so unless you were listening to them back to back, you might not notice.

I remember the first time I discovered New Order emerged from Joy Division. It was quite a shock because my only impression of Joy Division were the stark black and white photographs serious rock auteurs hung in their rooms. To think such a joyous band come emerge from such tragedy is quite moving.

Oh, and I quite enjoy Happy Mondays! Dance-rock has always been my cup of tea. I was referring more to their personalities, since everybody I know seems to find 24 Hour Party People much less enjoyable when the plot shifts focus to their drug fueled escapades.

Tue Nov 07, 12:33:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

So the Joy Division version is a rehearsal?

It definitely sounds different... much more mellow, a slower pace and it's 4:57 long.

Tue Nov 07, 01:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I hate to break it to you bro, but you might have a mislabled mp3. According to allmusic, Joy Division only recorded Ceremony twice -- one demo, and one live version recorded on their posthumous album Still.

Maybe you have a cover version of the song? Or a remix?

Tue Nov 07, 02:31:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

No... it's from the Heart and Souls box set. Disc 3.

Tue Nov 07, 04:47:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you because the Heart and Soul Ceremony is 4:21.

*shrugs*

Wed Nov 08, 12:32:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NERDS!

Wed Nov 08, 09:54:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know i'm kidding right? i mean i know all kinds of shit about They Might Be Giants songs.

Fri Nov 10, 03:44:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I don't know Brad. Just because it's a joke... I mean, I... I just don't think knowing that is enough to make the hurting stop.

Sat Nov 11, 09:58:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home