Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Goldsmith's Two Cents: X-Men 3

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

Imagine for a moment that you have at your disposal a nearly unlimited budget with which to make a superhero action movie. Now imagine that one of your main characters is omnipotent and indomitable; her powers allow her to do, quite literally, anything she can imagine. You'd make a pretty sweet movie, don't you think? I know I would. I'd have my almighty demigoddess flying all over the place, creating solar systems with her bare hands, growing armies of mythical creatures to fight by her side, etc.

Well, if you think that's what a Hollywood director would do when presented with this very set of circumstances, you'd be wrong. Instead of showing off the awesome powers of The Phoenix (formerly Jean Grey), director Brett Ratner botched this tremendous opportunity and left me fanaticizing about what could have been one of the coolest moments in superhero-movie history.

If I'd wanted to use my imagination I would have spent that $7 on an old X-Men comic. You blew it, Brett. You blew it.

5 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Yeah Goldsmith!

I am seeing X-men tomorrow, and I am nervous.

I really want it to succeed, or at least be entertaining.

Have it be known: X-men #137 [Phoenix Must Die] is the greatest single comic of all time.

My childhood is about to be raped.

Tue May 30, 07:06:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Logan hasn't seen it yet? Damn... then my snarky (and spoiler happy) blog entry will have to wait.

Also... great to see you B!

Tue May 30, 07:12:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

You can post it as of 3:00pm Central Time - that is when we are meeting up to hit ye ole cinematorium.

I will be posting my own movie reviews at the end of the week.

Sneak Peak: The Da Vinci Code is the greatest movie of all time.

Yes, you heard me. Even better than Stealth.

Tue May 30, 07:28:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

I don't think your childhood is about to be raped so much as deflated. Violated, maybe. Regardless, you're not going to like it one bit. Well, maybe the part when the scorpion dude gets in a fight with Logan (not you, Logan, the other Logan). That shit is tight (yes, tight).

It's both an honor and a pleasure to be here, Dr. Martinez. Thanks for having me. :)

Wed May 31, 12:56:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

b goldsmith is kind of a big deal.

Thu Jun 01, 05:56:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home