Sunday, May 28, 2006

TV Roundup Endgame: Part Zwei

The O.C.: In the shocking season finale, Seth reads Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It is good to see the producers are doing their homework again. And they finally put Marissa out of her misery (even though going to Greece would have been a perfectly acceptable exit from the show). Sadly, the same can not be said about Jeff Buckley, whose corpse Imogen Heap violently gang-banged during the closing minutes with their atrocious rendition of '"Hallelujah." Can we please put a ban on all further covering of said song during future season finales? k thx.

Survivor XII: So this season wasn't exactly the classic I predicted. After an entertaining (and unpredictable) start, the Casaya tribe finally proved that they had watched Survivor before by pagoning La Mina. Terry looked like he could persevere with a winning combination of Tom's invincibility and Chris's douchebaggery, but came up short in the weakest final immunity challenge of the series. Whatever. Winning Survivor has never been about being remotely likable or even vaguely competent (see every winner ever - but especially Ambore). The jury could have demonstrated a little more moxie, but I guess it is hard to blame them for failing to generate any enthusiasm for the most boring final two of all time (booting Shane and Courtney was not nearly as clever as you thought assholes). Anyway, the moral of the story is that after god-knows how many seasons, Survivor is still compulsively watchable -- and Panama: Exile Island even made me think the a Survivor All-Stars II would be a good idea. And after the last fiasco, that has got to mean something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pela said...

Leonard Cohen's corpse, on the other hand, was somehow left mysteriously untouched? I'm not buying it, and I certainly expect more in they way of research and continuity from you than I do from shows like the OC.

I'm also surprised you failed to mention how likable and awesome Shane was during the reunion. His review of Cirie's play was spot on, he was respectful of Boston's mom, and he looked great in his Hogwarts get up, no?

Mon May 29, 02:54:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Yeah, I know, but Leonard Cohen isn't dead yet, and it was an assumption on my part that people producing/watching The O.C. (and Imogen) are probably going to be referencing Buckley over Cohen -- the attention span for covers seems to be about 10 years, ie. the Champagne Supernova cover to end last season.

You are right about Shane -- I should have mentioned that he was the best part of the season, particularly on the jury. Although I don't know if I would ever use the word likable to describe Shane. Entertaining, yes. Likable, no.

I thought it was lame that Jeff spent half the reunion talking about Cirie and asking other people about Cirie. I mean sure, that was one of the better character arcs, but there were plenty of other interesting people on the island.

Further proof Aras is a moron: he was seriously thinking about taking Cirie to the final two.

Mon May 29, 04:58:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Pela said...

Viva la Leonard Cohen, I guess.

Oh, my God, I'm going to have a chocolate ice cream bar in about one -- like, one minute!

Tue May 30, 09:02:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Okay. That was pretty awesome.

Still, I wanted more DRAMA! I don't want people to take their boots rationally -- I want them to freak out and get upset. I don't watch Survivor to see emotionally-adjusted adults interacting.

Tue May 30, 11:30:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Although, now that I think about it, I probably could have make an elaborate pun off of the Co(h)en connection.

Oh well...

Tue May 30, 02:56:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home