Saturday, May 20, 2006

LOGANMIX001: Dancing In Heaven

While the rest of you were mourning Cobain's death at candle light vigils, I was fervently downloading 12'' extended remixes of synthpop classics over my 14.4 baud modem. By 1997 I had moved beyond my new romantic fixation, but my friends still took great delight (and probably some muted amusement) in my new wave mixtapes. This particular mix has its origins from a tape called The Different Story - an assorted mixture of overlooked singles and album tracks beyond the standard decade collection fare. Over the years, I have shuffled the tracklisting around a bit, but with a few exceptions (I mean how could I pass over Emilio's theme song?) it still bears that original mission.

The songs are primarily linked by style/genre, but like all new wave hits, they tend to thematically gravitate towards love in its commodified (The Sun Always Shines On TV, Tears Are Not Enough) and unrequited (Send Me An Angel, The Different Story) forms. And about dancing, usually in some sort of celestial body, which I assume is some sort of vague metaphor about love. But who really knows?

A blueprint that says that the boy meets the girl:

1. The Sun Always Shines On TV - A-ha [Hunting High and Low]
2. Dance With Me - Alphaville [Afternoons In Utopia]
3. My Own Way - Duran Duran [Rio]
4. Tears Are Not Enough - ABC [The Lexicon Of Love]
5. The Great Curve - Talking Heads [Remain In Light]
6. Just Another Day - Oingo Boingo [Dead Man's Party]
7. Send Me Angel (Heaven No. 7 Mix) - Real Life [Send Me Angel 12'' Vinyl Single]
8. Love Action (I Believe In Love) - The Human League [Dare]
9. Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark [Organisation]
10. Procession - New Order [Procession/Everything's Gone Green 7'' Single]
11. Strangelove - Depeche Mode [Music For The Masses]
12. It's A Sin - Pet Shop Boys [Actually]
13. Relax (Come Fighting) - Frankie Goes To Hollywood [Welcome To The Pleasuredome]
14. Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop) - Q-Feel [Dancing In Heaven 7'' Single]
15. The Different Story (World Of Lust And Crime) - Peter Schilling [The Different Story]
16. Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds [Don't You 7'' Single]
17. Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears [Head Over Heels 7'' Single]

Drop me a line if you want a copy, or, alternatively, I have included the originating albums if you are all DIY and shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home