Wednesday, May 24, 2006

E3 2006: What I think about the future...

I just finished my search for my apartment.

[My goal was to have a nice 1 bedroom – girlfriend approved... for the, y’know, future – in the Avenues, Sugarhouse or Downtown by June 1st. This was, obviously, quite new for me. I really had no idea how what to do. But it was one of those things I assume I can figure out since there are many people in the world less educated (and less intelligent?) than me who have been able to do it. (I used the same logic when I was learning how to drive a stick shift... eventually I gave up on that. Manual transmissions are bullshit.)]

So I found one. On 1st Avenue. Less than a half block away from Salt Lake’s famous Mormon Temple (yay?). A block from a light rail station (which means five minutes from school). And two blocks from the nearest Starbucks.

I’m happy about it. You could say it’s been a long time coming, but I’m not really sure about that. I waited until I was financially able to live on my own without too much trouble. My hope is that, even with my newfound rent payment, I won’t be any poorer than I have been living at home. (That might sound impossible... but my move coincides with a 60% increase in my weekly work hours.)

Thing is... I still wonder about money. Especially since I might have some rather expensive purchases to make in the future. (Jewelry can be expensive.)

I’m trying to figure out what I can sell to pull together any extra cash for incidentals like vacuums, trashcans and coffee makers. I have a guitar that likely to go. Along with a random assortment of “collectibles” from my days in the video business.

I’m even thinking about selling all of my old video games and consoles. But there are a few lingering doubts in my mind about whether I’m really to that point in my life... or if I even want to sell my classic systems.

Coincidentally, the dust just settled on E3 2006. For those of you not in the know (and totally confused by our posts a couple weeks ago) that’s the annual video game trade show in Los Angeles. It’s a massive event that fills up the entire L.A. Convention Center and last three days.

Even though I was a big enough video game fan to go to E3 two years ago as a member of the press, it wasn’t a big deal to me this year. I’m officially a casual gamer. (Albeit a casual gamer with an extensive understanding of the industry.) Therefore I don’t think I have much to say about E3 2006. And yet...

Nintendo

Nintendo “won” the show. I was already excited about the Wii. But now... I’ll definitely buy one. That’s saying a lot too, since I don’t know that I’ll ever buy an Xbox 360 or a PS3. The virtual console is a great idea. (And incentive to sell my classic systems now before they’re presumably devalued.) The controller looks awesome and, much like with my current favorite system the DS, shows a lot of potential for compelling and original software.

Microsoft

An obvious second place. I love the idea of the Xbox Live Arcade. I just wish they’d give actual release dates for some of the more interesting games. Otherwise it seems like it’s just solid sailing… in America at least.

Sony

I’m not a big Sony fan to begin with. But this E3 cemented that and essentially cut off any future tie I’ll ever have with their game machines. I would never spend $600 on a console. And there was nothing shown that will keep me from selling my PSP. (It’s on the market now!)

Hmm… it seems like I should have more to say. But I really don’t. I can’t think of a single game from the show that I know I’ll absolutely buy. Save for the stuff I’ve already talked about for the Wii. And, of course, more for DS. The DS is the greatest thing ever.

Maybe I really don’t care anymore.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Can't wait to check out the apartment! Is there an IKEA in Utah that you can hit up to spruce up the place?

Any chance you will post some photos on the blog?

Fri May 26, 11:50:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home