Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Flashpoint

As you probably heard, Apple announced the iPad last week. As you could probably imagine, many people on the internet had opinions about it. Most were inane.

For me, the most fascinating aspect of the whole pageant was Steve Jobs's blatant middle finger to Adobe. He fully articulated the official party line at a recent Town Hall:
They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
My own anecdotal evidence corroborates Jobs's accusations - I would say 95% of my computer woes involve Flash - but I couldn't help but wonder if I was simply buying into Apple's justification for marginalizing a competitor to its own economic ecosystem.

Daring Fireball has an excellent response to my musings.

3 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

While I think it'll be four or five years before HTML5 affects anything, I'd be happy if flash disappeared tomorrow.

Still, I think the Adobe situation is more complicated than Jobs' explanation. They tried to clean up Action Script with AS3, but the flash community was up in arms over the changes and deprecated commands.

Adobe should be more forward thinking, but it's harder than just "acting like Apple."

Fri Feb 05, 02:21:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Also, if Apple is so forward thinking. Why "iPad?"

If it's really a third tier (between iPods and MacBooks) doesn't it deserve it's own branding?

Fri Feb 05, 02:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

That is a good question Mark, but I assume that might be branding based on the OS. Everything with the i works off of iPhoneOS, and everything with Mac works off of MacOS.

Fri Feb 05, 04:56:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home