Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brown Stain

In a way I'm kind of excited about Scott Brown's victory last night. Obama and the sitting legislature could use a wakeup call. To a large extent I agree with Glenn Greenwald's analysis of what the defeat "means" for democrats (NYTimes link 10:10am.)
"The notion that Obama’s policies are too “liberal” for the country is simply absurd, given that these are exactly the policies on which he successfully campaigned. But the central pledge of the Obama candidacy, beyond any specific issues, was his vow to change the way Washington works. It is his failure to do that which has become the party’s greatest liability."

But that aside, wtf with Scott Brown's acceptance speech? "My daughters are both available! I mean, uhh, just kidding. Really though, the tall one is. Plus she can sing!" I can't really think of the appropriate reaction. . . maybe "Eww." . . . maybe "What a douche." . . . I dunno. I think I'd give him the benefit of the doubt except that his daughter says he previously offered to sell her to one of Mitt Romney's sons. Apparently he was excited by the prospect of her "convert[ing] to a Mormon!"

I realize Brown was trying to make jokes, but to me that's more than a tinge offensive to my internal feminist. Couple that with the way he grinned at a supporter's suggestion to "Shove a curling iron up [Martha Coakley's] butt" at a rally, and I start to get a negative idea about the guy's views on women.

Back to my happiness though, how can the election of this jackass be a positive event? Well, in a vacuum it's not, but if our current set of elected officials can get it through their heads that we actually did want change when we voted for change, then that could be a good thing. I'd be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath.

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

I understand where you are coming from Brad, but having a year of health care debate come to nothing is a real kick in the teeth.

Wed Jan 20, 07:31:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

no doubt. but having a year of health care debate result in the pile that left the senate floor isn't that much better.

Thu Jan 21, 08:58:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

i was also interested to read multiple personal accounts from massachusetts democrats who said they either didn't vote or voted for Brown because they felt like a vote for Brown was a vote to have another choice in three years, whereas if they elected Coakley they felt they were electing a candidate they didn't really like to a lifetime position.

plus, making the mistake of calling Curt Schilling a Yankee when you're already viewed as out of touch and your opponent is rallying around a populist cry. . . pretty much a death sentence in Red Sox Nation.

Thu Jan 21, 09:08:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home