Thursday, September 24, 2009

LOGANMIX2002: There Goes The Fear

2002 in a nutshell: Everybody will finger 2002 as the year the iPod crossed the PC rubicon and ushered in the beginning of the end for music labels, but I would just like to point out that Nickelback's atrocious #1 single "How You Remind Me" was far more symptomatic of the malignancy the industry refused to acknowledge.


10. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi


9. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots



8. DJ Shadow - The Private Press

In 2002, six years after the release of his landmark album Endtroducing…, DJ Shadow seemingly had been all but lapped by his prolific instrumental hip-hop peers. Stifled by unreasonable expectations, The Private Press got widely dismissed with a "Good, but not quite Endtroducing…" Honorable Mention ribbon by critics. Only Philip Sherburne (who else?) rightfully appreciated The Private Press as "a record full of unheimlich collisions that serve as temporary, sonic dwellings — the most personal form of shelter you can find." "Six Days" perhaps best exemplifies the rich connotations that emerge from such uncanny juxtapositions. In the song, DJ Shadow layers the haunting vocal track from the almost a capella "Six Day War" over what I can only describe as Kokomo muzak. The tension from such incongruent collocation magnifies the lyric's diffuse feeling of foreboding and provides an eerie parallel in light of the nation's weary acquiescence to the looming war in Iraq.


7. Enon - High Society



6. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Haters going to hate, so why bother to defend this album: you probably already have an opinion even if you have never listened beyond the 4 massive singles. Instead, I will just further stir the hornet's nest: prior to the release of A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Chris Martin declared to NME, "We’ll only do another album if we think it’ll be better. I don’t really care about the whole 15 album thing. I like the whole Joy Division approach, two albums then…well, not hang yourself!”



5. Doves - The Last Broadcast

Pros and cons on emigrating to the U.K.:

(Pro) "There Goes The Fear" - quite possibly the greatest song of the decade - actually charted at #3 in Britian.
(Con) Robbie Williams


4. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot


3. Spoon - Kill the Moonlight


2. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights



1. The Notwist - Neon Golden

Import Price. Two words I am glad I will never have to hear again. In the age of internet distribution it might be easy to mythologize the days when you had to financially devote yourself to music exploration. Future generations, let me dispel the myth: it kind of sucked. The process in 2002 worked something like this: based on internet hearsay, I would blindly spend ludicrous import tariffs (think double the domestic sticker price) on eBay to acquire music that wouldn't be available stateside for another year. It was essentially Russian Roulette. Sometimes I would get burned (Shalabi Effect's The Trial of St. Orange comes to mind). Other times I would be rewarded with glorious little treasures like The Notwist's Neon Golden. It is hard to parse one's personal evolution of musical taste, but I don't think it would be unreasonable for me to say that The Notwist's blend of organic electronics (ever noticed cross-over electronic with real instruments is always qualified as "organic") helped acclimatize me to IDM and other forms of melodic laptronica.

Fail with consequence, lose with eloquence and smile:

LOGANMIX2002: There Goes The Fear

1. Small Stakes - Spoon [Kill The Moonlight]
2. Fight Test - The Flaming Lips [Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots]
3. Native Numb - Enon [High Society]
4. Attack of the Ghost Riders - The Raveonettes [Whip It On]
5. I'm The Man Who Loves You - Wilco [Yankee Hotel Foxtrot]
6. House Of Jealous Lovers (12'' Original Version) - The Rapture [House of Jealous Lovers 12'' Single]
7. Talk To Me, Dance With Me - Hot Hot Heat [Make Up The Breakdown]
8. Say Hello To The Angels - Interpol [Turn On The Bright Lights]
9. Six Days - DJ Shadow [The Private Press]
10. Shower Scene - Saint Etienne [Finisterre]
11. Evil (Ewan Pearson Radio Edit) - Ladytron [Evil Single]
12. Forever Not Yours - a-ha [Forever Not Yours Single]
13. Paper Tiger - Beck [Sea Change]
14. There Goes The Fear - Doves [The Last Broadcast]
15. Relative Ways - … And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead [Source Tags & Codes]
16. Amsterdam - Coldplay [A Rush Of Blood To The Head]
17. It's In Our Hands - Björk - [It's In Our Hands Single]
18. Consequence - The Notwist [Neon Golden]

17 Comments:

Blogger S Goldsmith said...

How is "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" not number one? And you forgot to mention:

Blackalicious, "Blazing Arrow"

Iron and Wine, "The Creek Drank the Cradle"

Bruce Springsteen, "The Rising"

Fri Sep 25, 11:52:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Mason said...

Coldplay: Better than hanging yourself. But not better than Chris Martin hanging himself.

Fri Sep 25, 10:48:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Brad Christensen said...

Mason's funny.

Coldplay: Better than Death Cab for Cutie and Tool. But not better than not having to listen to mediocre bands that Reina liked.

Sat Sep 26, 02:50:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Radiohead -talent +a sense of humor +pretty +mainstream appeal = Coldplay

Mon Sep 28, 09:01:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Brad: Your double negative could apply to any genre of music you don't listen to.

[Country music] is not better than not having to listen to other [Minimal House].

This spills into Mason's line of reasoning: I have never listened to a Tool album, I suspect I would not greatly appreciate listening to a Tool album, but why should I bother hating Tool? It is simply not my cup of tea. Hating on Coldplay is hating on music that your Aunt likes listening to.

And I think Mark and Brad make the mistake of confusing "talent" with equaling "music I like" or inversely "mediocrity" with "music I don't like". [Out of curiosity Mark, would you describe Muse as Radiohead - talent? And how many bands would you describe as equal to Radiohead's talent?]

If anything Coldplay is a secular U2 with a more down to earth lead singer.

Mon Sep 28, 09:47:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I didn't mean that have no talent, just less.

And I like Coldplay.

I also think Muse has almost as much talent as Radiohead. Granted, I've never listened to Muse. But it's a fact I'm sure of.

I don't think anyone could hate Chris Martin after they watch Extras.

Mon Sep 28, 01:00:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous aln_slc said...

This is a pretty good mix, as always. Thanks.

Mon Sep 28, 09:09:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Andy: just pretty good! dude that mix is flawless ;)

Sam: Thanks for the tips. I actually haven't listened to the first Iron & Wine album or the Bruce Springsteen album. That is why I like lists: you always find something you have been overlooking.

Tue Sep 29, 08:35:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

that's why i like your mom. she always finds something i've been overlooking.

Tue Sep 29, 09:23:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

Logan: What I mean is Reina liked Coldplay, Tool, and Death Cab (among others) and I much preferred listening to Coldplay. Although to be fair, the other two aren't that bad, and I do like A Perfect Circle as an incarnation of Tool more than I like Tool. But that's neither here nor there, Coldplay is a very valuable band because they're tolerable, even enjoyable, across a pretty broad audience.

Sorry my double negative was confusing, I just meant I chose Coldplay over the other options during my Reina datin' days, but it's better to not have to make the choice.

Sam: it IS pretty easily overlooked.

p.s. Iron and Wine = Okkervil River - entertainment.

Tue Sep 29, 11:18:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

By the way Logan, these lists and mixes are very cool, thanks for sharing.

Tue Sep 29, 04:05:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger S Goldsmith said...

brad's mom = logan's mom + ben's junk

Tue Sep 29, 05:16:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

My bad Brad. I misinterpreted your double negative and got defensive. I guess I have a soft spot for largely appealing bands. A couple of people behind me in line at Fred Meyers were buying tickets for the Pearl Jam show and while I don't really know much of the PJ discography, it seemed like it would be a really cool show.

And being obligated to listen to music is no fun at all.

Wed Sep 30, 07:52:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Logan, about the comments, I just want to say that I never meant to cause you trouble. I never meant to do you harm.

Wed Sep 30, 02:44:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger b r christensen said...

Kind of like how I'm obligated to listen to these damn mixes you keep posting? (I kid)

As to Pearl Jam. . . maybe. If by cool show you mean like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=HZLjJy0abf8
only pearly.

Thu Oct 01, 09:18:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous aln_slc said...

YO maybe you will change your recommended movies and CDs now?

~dis~

Thu Oct 01, 08:45:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

YASSEAH!

Andy: Unfortunately, I have been focusing my listening on the early years of the 00s, so I don't have too many more music recommendations for the time being.

And as soon as I see another worthwhile movie in theaters, I will be sure to update the film recommendations, but so far nothing has really struck my fancy since The Hurt Locker.

Mon Oct 05, 07:40:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home