Wednesday, August 26, 2009

To my best friend and enemy, England

I was watching PBS last night, because I don't have cable or satellite and only have about a dozen channels, and there was a show on about how nerds in England reenact Arthurian legend.

Now, this shouldn't have been surprising. (I am aware of the Medieval Times/LARPer subculture.) But then it struck me: The English can't really reenact The Civil War. Their racist, reactionary population has to come up some other excuse to hate the "other," get drunk and party.


And, yet, they still wonder why our TV, movies and video games control the worlds culture.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Whoa whoa! Reenacting Arthurian legends is infinitely cooler than reenacting the Civil War. And the closest American equivalent would be Custer's Last Stand: if the Native Americans went on and took back American land.

Also Hollywood reenacts the Arthurian legend every couple of years. I highly doubt any Civil War dramas make appearances at the BAFTAs.

Then again you watch PBS so you are probably more educated on these matters than me ;) Every time I flip past PBS it is always stupid Gwyneth Paltrow pretending to vegan in Spain.

Thu Aug 27, 08:12:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just listened to an old This American Life about Americans re-enacting the Civil War, and the program said that Americans are the only ones that do that. They are wrong!! I'm so disappointed.

Thu Sep 03, 07:44:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Unknown said...

Americans are the only ones to re-enact old wars, not Americans are the only ones to re-enact the Civil War.

Thu Sep 03, 07:47:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home