Thursday, August 27, 2009

Army of Me.

Shadow Complex

To claim that Shadow Complex is an homage to Super Metroid is an understatement. The game plagiarizes just about every aspect of Metroid's winning 16-bit formula and adds no signature of its own -- except, I guess, the 2.5D perspective, which is quite a headache visually and mechanically. Not to say the game isn't a fine way to pass a few hours (about 7 or 8 to get a full 100% by my count), but Shadow Complex lacks the atmosphere and (rather surprising) emotion that made Super Metroid one of the finest of its generation [the encounter with the title creature rivals what Valve pulled off with Portal].

As for the Orson Scott Card controversy, I am simply pleased that this debate exists at all in the gaming discourse.

Grade: B

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

After I started going through links for the Orson Scott Card controversy, I realized that my opinions were pretty much carbon copies of the Wired article and 1-UP. Irony!

I should note that the XP feature in the game is entirely irrelevant. And that the "respawning" feature of the game is particularly irksome as enemies seem to regroup if you simply make it to a new save point.

Thu Aug 27, 08:31:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home