Thursday, June 04, 2009

It happens every year

The Microsoft Press Conference

The Highlights

Enhanced Netflix streaming, including queue management and instant streaming (and 1080p if I end up with a house in Murray). In my ongoing quest to be completely and totally done with cable television, this was another step forward. I don’t own an Xbox 360, nor do I have a netflix account. But, for $20 a month (after the initial $200 investment) I could be

Two Halos, an Alan Wake and Shadow Complex. All look like solid, must-buy games, and two will be out in 2009.

The Lowlights

Most of the exclusive are 2010 releases.

The “huh” moments

Natal. When you’re showing off your “me-too” product, are you sure you want to make your promo video look like a commercial for your competitor?




An appearance by The Beatles. Wow. Ringo. Paul. Yoko. Olivia. Giles Martin. Impressive, and likely to grab a lot of mainstream press headlines. But was it really reason enough to open your press conference with a non-exclusive title?

The Nintendo Press Conference

The Highlights

Metroid: Other M. While my initial thought was “God of Metroid,” that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Team Ninja making a Metroid game? It seems crazy and it looks incredible.

Mario, Mario and more Mario. Between New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Galaxy 2, I’ll be extremely happy. Even without a press conference Zelda announcement, those are solid numbers.




The Lowlights

A lot of everything else. I’ve been much more willing than most fans to accept that Nintendo doesn’t really care about my business anymore. And all those other games will probably sell like crazy. But I still don’t care.

The “huh” moments

Iwata’s biometric machine (Wii Vitality Sensor). It isn’t a new idea. I’ve read for years how some game designers would like to work in biometrics so that, say, a game’s difficulty could gear up or down depending on the player’s reaction. But I’m still not convinced it’s a good idea. Of course, I was a nay-sayer on the DS and then again on the Wii. So maybe I should learn to just let Nintendo do it’s thing.

The Sony Press Conference

The Highlights

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Easily the best video game trailer at this year’s E3. The game didn’t make my top three, but it’s definitely #4. The Last Guardian and God of War 3 also look pretty amazing.



Sony’s motion control. I didn’t think tech demos and a me-too product could wow me. But I was wowed. This looks like a version of motion control that could actually change a hardcore gamer’s experience. Too bad Sony didn’t have the foresight to pack it into the box on day one. Hell. What’s another $100.

The Lowlights

The fact that the whole thing was pretty much leaked before hand. Particularly the new, and largely uninspiring, PSP. Oh, and no PS3 price cut.

The “huh” moments

Actually, I can’t remember any. For maybe the first time ever, Sony seemed to have the least hyperbole in its press conference. Of course, having that many press leaks in advance of your show probably does a lot to take away the showboating.

The 3 games I’m most interested in


Heavy Rain. I didn’t believe some of what the lead developer was saying until I watched the game being demoed a few, distinct times. Every single demo was completely different. One time, the character even died. Q1 2010. I hope that means January. (The video, by the way, is three years old. The game looks amazing.)


Metroid: Other M. Team Ninja (sans the wacko Itagaki) is making a Metroid game and it looks amazing. Take the fast action of Ninja Gaiden, with a little bit of the brutally, and it seems like you’re going to end up with something special.


Shadow Complex. The only 2009 game and the only downloadable game on my list, Shadow Complex is a lot like Other M: It’s someone else’s take on the classic Metroid-vania formula. In this case, it’s a Cliffy B/Epic Games game. The only bad thing: I’ll have to buy an Xbox 360 to play it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Wii Vitality Sensor: I mean everybody had the same reaction with the Wii Fit and now that is selling like hotcakes. As you have said, Nintendo doesn't really need to market to l33t gamerz like us anymore. That being said, they could have at least demoed one concrete example of the sensor in use.

Heavy Rain: The premise reminds me strongly of the PC version of Blade Runner that was released 10 years ago to mixed reviews. These high concept games are hard to pull off, but this game has some huge potential. Skeptical, but intrigued.

Shadow Complex: Looks like another stupid Cliffy B game that will probably be fun but entirely forgettable.

WHERE IS MY DRAGON QUEST?

Mon Jun 08, 10:18:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home