Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Random thoughts from Argentina.

Buenos Aires is distressingly urban. More so than New York and Madrid.

Traffic lanes are merely suggestions, if that. Driving seems to be accomplished principally through bullying.

Argentines apparently only drink Malbec. And Quilmes, the national beer, is no good at all.

Argentina may be home to the best meat in the world, but I wouldn't know because they bread everything.

Medialunas are delicious.

Avenida 9 de Julio is indeed the biggest street in the world.

La Boca is too touristy. Instead visit the Recoleta Cemetery and the Metropolitan Cathedral.

Maradona is still fat. So are his fakes.

If the city survives Starship Troopers annihilation and is instead wiped out by the 12 Monkeys plague, it will be overrun with stray cats.

Dogs, on the other hand, seem to be well taken care of. Paseadores de perros walk through the streets tending to 12 dogs at a time.

German descendants in Argentina seem to inherit a lot of money. I wonder why.

This was the first time I have travelled abroad and not felt embarrassed to be an American. Obamamania is all over South America. Everybody wants to talk Obama.

2 Comments:

Blogger b r christensen said...

Dude, you're making me all nostalgic.

I drove quite a bit (I mean a lot) when I was in Buenos Aires, I actually thought that the drivers were pretty considerate, you just can't wait for someone to accommodate, you have to be assertive. At least the drivers there are aware of everyone else on the road, which is nice when compared to Utah.

Argentina is definitely home to the best meat in the world, you needed some parilla (preferably in somebody's back yard.)

Medialunas - agreed.

Nueve de Julio freaked me right out when I got off the freeway from the airport and had to drive down that monstrosity, then there was the curve bulge around the big monolith thing (which brings us back to your thought on traffic lanes.)

Recoleta was my favorite part of B.A.

Maradona is fat. But La Pulga is phat these days.

I didn't notice a lot of cats, but I did notice that they need a NY style dog clean-up law.

I hope you had an opportunity to bust out your mysterious Argentine accent.

Thu Apr 30, 07:01:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous aln_slc said...

What were you doing in Argentina? Good blog post, it communicates pretty efficiently. I've been considering a trip this summer, maybe something cheap to the Mexican riviera. For academic ends, of course. http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&uid=2009-05192-003

Wed May 06, 04:27:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home