Saturday, February 28, 2009

Caroline... a.k.a. Go Oregon

Coraline (in 3-D) was one of the most deeply unsettling movies I've seen in years. And I loved it.

It was somewhere along the lines of a zombie movie (for me). I've always said, the only thing that scares me is zombie movies. Although, now, I can probably add Coraline to that list.

The art direction. The use of 3-D. The story. The progression. All nearly flawless. Outside of the slow exposition, there's little I could see to change. It's deeply seated in the structure and archetypes of the regular childern's movie. (Absent parents. The need to create an internal loci. The unimportance of objects, possessions and well-being versus the importance of the "other." All there.)

Yet, tonally, the only thing it compares to is a zombie movie. The majority of the movie takes place in utter isolation. A world where, like the world after a zombie event, has only the protagonist as the rational, connected sense of how things actually are. And should be.

I've always liked to watch zombie movies, and they have always already been the only thing that gives me nightmares. I'd like to think that I could stand up to a completely irrational, violent world. One where everyone wants to destroy me and nothing is as it was. And that I could completely survive based on superior intellect alone. But I wouldn't want to.

It's the same with Coraline. I think I could resist and fight my way out of that ideal world.

But I'm not sure I'd want to.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

You mean you don't find SLC a utopia, a sort of Mecca? Me neither. But it would be nice to have more of our ideals right now. Also this movie did give a single nightmare, but I can't remember my dream.

Tue Mar 03, 01:16:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home