Saturday, February 21, 2009

2008: The answer comes before the question.

So yeah.

2008 was probably the worst year for film since I have been born [1982 for those playing at home].

I can't tell you how many times I walked out of the theater regretting the time and money I invested. It is not that the movies were particularly bad (except Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- that was horrible), but most were unimaginative and dull.

Disappointing was my single most used adjective.

I can't even muster the energy to rank these movies, let alone talk about them.

Instead, I present to you 10 movies you might have not seen, plus one that you most definitely did see, that exceeded expectations (ie. did not disappoint) -- whatever that might mean.

I have half-heartedly order them by preference. I'll let you guess which direction.

The Fall



Role Models



Shotgun Stories



The Edge of Heaven



Man On Wire



Rachel Getting Married



Let The Right One In



Waltz With Bashir



JCVD



Encounters at the End of the World




The Dark Knight

2 Comments:

Blogger S Goldsmith said...

what about gran torino and the wrestler?

Sat Feb 21, 08:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

gran torino: i refuse to watch a clint eastwood movie ever again.

the wrestler: i mean the movie is fine, and i am glad that aronofsky knows how to film a coherent narrative, but if you have seen the trailer you have seen the entire movie.

sam, here are two movies that need to be on your radar for this year:Biutiful & The Limits of Control

Sun Feb 22, 11:22:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home