Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I’m making a note here

In Cormac McCarthy’s The Road the man, at one point, realizes that his son isn’t alien. He is. The world that he knew is gone. His son, native to the post-Apocalyptic world that is, is at home on that Earth.

On Sunday, I pointed out to Rachel and Stacie that Hakeem, who will be 17 in January, was born in 1992.

On Saturday, the day before, Rachel and me and Stacie and Dustin played Rock Band 2 with our friend Hakeem. Rock Band has enough songs that I can now sing a four song Pumpkins set or a seven song Seattle Grunge-era set. At least half of the songs were from before Hakeem was born. But this isn’t about Rock Band. Or Hakeem.

I was in seventh grade when I met Logan. That was 1994. Maybe you’ve heard the story. We bonding over, big surprise, video games. A nerdier kid (I know, I know) was openly reading his Nintendo Power in 7th grade English class. Me and Logan were too cool. We had ours in our backpacks. Somehow, a day or so later, we ended up talking video games and Nintendo Power in gym class.

In all likelihood, you don’t know the story. If you do, not my version. Logan’s will be slightly different.

Whitley is going to be 17 next month. She was born in 1991.

I didn’t actually ever meet Whitley. I was in the hospital waiting room when she was born. But you would know that.

Some of you.

The real answer, is that I’m lately feeling old. Not all the time. But often enough when I realize the distance in time between the events I remember like they just happened, and the events that did just happen. In some ways, I’ve become an alien to my own world. At least, the different parts of it. I’m still friends with Logan. And Whitley. And Hakeem. But each friendship is separate. Alien. They are related by me, but each person has no knowledge beyond the stories I could tell. Even then, they may not be true.

The thought is, aging is like constantly being on The Road. To me, it could be a wasteland. Events that are past and have gone.

But it isn’t like that. There are other people on the road. Stories to tell. Stories to hear.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger L-to-the-Del said...

You are old. I am older and that is why I recognize it.

Fri Oct 31, 10:21:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger Cinnamon Buns said...

Ya, 17! I'm so excited. For what I am not sure but nevertheless, I am very excited. Oh, and you are old :) Kidding, kidding. You are my aunts age and I still hang out with her so you are OK. :)

Mon Nov 03, 10:50:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger Sensei Master said...

WHAT??? Why am i not in your blog? Oh and why have i never heard this story about you and Logan? Why have i never heard about this
"Logan"

Mon Nov 03, 11:34:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Just for the record, I never brought Nintendo Power magazines to school in my backpack ;)

Thu Nov 13, 11:29:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home