Thursday, June 19, 2008

"A nation army couldn't hold me back."

One of the many curiosities of watching the UEFA 2008 Euro Cup is hearing The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" transformed into a massive football anthem.

Certain songs are designed for the pitch. Freddy Mercury even admitted that "We Are The Champions" was written with football fans in mind.

Jack White's bass aping guitar riff, on the other hand, seems likely an unlikely candidate. It doesn't even have words.

But there it is every game: hundreds of thousands of hooligans chanting along: DUN DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN DUN.

3 Comments:

Blogger b r christensen said...

I've heard that one a lot too. Thought it was kinda funny.

Even stranger, I thought I recognized the drums from Atlas by Battles at Real Salt Lake games so when I saw one of the supporters group guys walking out with his drum I asked. He goes, "None other," and keeps walking.

Mon Jun 23, 09:13:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Man, Atlas is so awesome. That was my Summer 07 jam.

Tue Jun 24, 08:04:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

p.s. Does Real Salt Lake have a winning record yet?

Tue Jun 24, 08:04:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home