Tuesday, June 10, 2008

At Home I'm A Tourist

One of my favorite spots in Salt Lake City is now a gigantic crater.

No. Not Crossroads Mall. Although it looks like an earthquake leveled downtown.

I speak of the neighborhood formally known as Sugarhouse, particularly the Granite block, one of the few stretches of city that showed any degree of counter-culture. [Barista joke: What is the difference between Salt Lake City and Vanilla Yogurt? At least the Vanilla Yogurt has culture. Wakka Wakka!]

Broadway seems to be emerging as the new focal point of low-rent hipster boutiques and coffee shops, particularly as Slowtrain has emerged from the ashes of Orion's Music. It makes sense that these uprooted communities would gravitate towards the local independent movie theaters (and which, I guess, will eventually elevate Junior's from dive to faux dive status).

Despite our (or maybe just my) propensity for forced nostalgia, I must admit the new location is quite keen. Especially, Signed & Number, which has to be the only dedicated concert poster art store in the universe.

So while I am a little sad (mostly because of its geographical location) that Sugarhouse will lose its reputation as the "Little Haight" of Salt Lake, it is exciting to see the peripheries of the downtown area continuing to develop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home