Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Selective Memory: A Case Study

"I've never seen a game like that in all these years that I've coached in the Finals. Unbelievable."

Phil Jackson, in reference to the 36 to 10 free throw differential between the Celtics and Lakers in Game 2 of the NBA Finals.

Let's take a stroll through memory lane, Phil, my boy.

Example #1:

Number of free throw attempts in the Utah Jazz and L.A. Lakers West Conference Semifinals.

Game 1: 46 - 30 Lakers + 16
Game 2: 43 - 16 Lakers + 27 (!)
Game 3: 37 - 28 Lakers + 9
Game 4: 25 - 45 Lakers - 20
Game 5: 42 - 28 Lakers + 14
Game 6: 38 - 25 Lakers + 13

Ahh. I see a trend.

Or better yet. Example #2:

2002 Western Conference Finals between the L.A. Lakers and the Sacramento Kings.

Game 6: 40 - 25 Lakers +15, including 27 fourth-quarter FTs for the Lakers. 27!

I think Sam's good buddy Donaghy might have something to say about that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger M S Martinez said...

Amen to that.

The officiating has been so bad that this playoffs has almost been completely unwatchable for me.

The league clearly pushed in the Lakers-Celtics series. And now it obviously wants a seven game series.

If the refs let them start playing in six, I think the Lakers will win. If it's only game seven, I think it's a toss up.

Thu Jun 12, 07:15:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home