Friday, July 20, 2007

Ice Cream Headache

Just thought I’d tell you a personal story of Apple, specifically the iTunes store, going above and beyond (even if the customer service rep didn’t read my complaint very closely).

I recently preordered the new Smashing Pumpkins and Interpol albums from iTunes to take advantage of a preorder opportunity for tickets to their respective fall tours.

Unfortunately their partner on the promotion was Ticketmaster. So despite Salt Lake City being listed as a participating city, it turns out Ticketmaster doesn’t actually sell tickets for the venue (http://www.mckayeventscenter.com/) where both concerts are taking place.

Needless to say, I was a little unhappy as the main reason I bought from iTunes was the ticket preorder.

Here’s what I wrote:

“I was just writing to complain about the presale program for the newest Smashing Pumpkins album (Zeitgeist) and the newest Interpol album (Our Love To Admire).

I bought the albums through iTunes because of the advertised opportunity to buy advance tickets to concerts for both artists. (It seemed like a great way to buy the albums and get early tickets to both Salt Lake City shows.)

Despite the fact that Salt Lake City was listed as a participating city for as long as the ads appeared on iTunes, though, Ticketmaster never presold tickets. And now tickets for both shows are on sale (neither through Ticketmaster).

As I said before, I bought the albums from iTunes primarily because of this deal. I was wary of the deal because I’ve had bad experiences with Ticketmaster before, so I’m not surprised that they would claim to be selling tickets to a venue with which they don’t have a contract. But I thought that the Apple name made the deal trustworthy. I guess I was wrong.”

And here is Apple’s response:

“I understand you pre-ordered "The Smashing Pumpkins" and "Interpol" for the soul purpose of receiving the promotional codes for the pre-sale tickets, only to find out that neither of these bands, will be performing in your area. I know how upsetting it can be, to expect something, and then be let down. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

I have viewed the Ticketmaster website, and they are infact, selling tickets to both of these shows, unfortunately, there is nothing scheduled for the state of Utah. Seeing as the pre-sale of the tickets is the only reason you ordered these items, I would like to offer you a refund for both of these purchases.

Please be advised that all iTunes Store sales are final, so this is a one time exception. This refund should be posted to your credit card, within 3-5 business days, from today.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.
Thank you for choosing the iTunes Store and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sandra
iTunes Store Customer Support
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww”

I think that Apple took the initiative and has really tried to make me happy. And I wanted to make sure other people heard about.

5 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

McKay Events Center. ROFL.

Sun Jul 22, 11:33:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two things -

1. soul purpose? yeah!

2. the mckay events center is actually a pretty good place to see a show, better than the alternatives for that size (e center, energy pollutions, etc.)

Mon Jul 23, 11:40:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and, on a somewhat unrelated and disappointing note.

the hives are touring again, and coming to slc.

as the opening act for maroon 5.

at energy solutions arena.

god.

dammit.

Mon Jul 23, 11:46:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I noticed that too... wtf?

The Hives were selling out decently-sized venues. Why would they ever open for Maroon 5? Maybe a troubling sign for their new album?

Tue Jul 24, 11:04:00 PM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the only thing i can think of is that they'll be exposing themselves to an entirely new audience.

(which, as we all know can be quite thrilling)

Wed Jul 25, 10:39:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home