Monday, July 16, 2007

The Boy Who Lived

Harry Potter will be wrapping up, one way or another, this Saturday at 12:01 a.m. But that’s not what this post is about.

The movie came out last Wednesday and has already made $140 million. But this post isn’t exactly about that either.

It’s about the confusion of the two. Some people have been whipped up into a Potter-frenzy. But not me. In fact, I had an impossible time even remembering when the movie was going to be released.

Thing is... I don’t think I have room in me to care about two variations of the same things. Let along when one is new and exciting (the book) and the other is the fifth water-downed (but cool) translation of the book. The book that came out like five years ago.

Maybe what I’m saying is that I’m not as interested in movies as books anymore. Or maybe it’s that I just don’t have the time or energy to care about most pop culture. Or maybe it’s something else entirely.

7 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

That's too bad. I have distinct memories of seeing Prisoner of Azkaban with you and Nell, and recieving a few text messages from you when I was in LA after Half-Blooded Prince came out.

Nell and I saw the movie last night and while it was pretty boring, I have to give it huge props for being the only movie that I can think of that has made magic look legit. Even LOTR failed to pull that off.

And there is something to be said about watching the young actors grow up on screen.

Any bets on how the series is going to end?

Mon Jul 16, 04:15:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

The first 2/3 of the book have already leaked.

Somebody is using a digital camera and taking a photo of each page.

LEGENDARY.

Mon Jul 16, 04:45:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

I actually am still excited about The Deathly Hollows. It was just that the movie didn't have the same pull and appeal of Prisoner of Azkaban. (I also have found memories of that.)

It was just that this movie didn't do it for me. I loved the opening scene and the ending scene. But--with a few exceptions--the rest was rather less interesting.

My guess: Harry lives. Snape kills Voldemort. Draco kills Snape.

(And no, I haven't read any of the book. I'm spoiler free this time. I'm even going black on message boards after today.)

Tue Jul 17, 07:39:00 AM GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but the cheerleader gets saved right?



i mean, religiously.



she's heard the good news?

Tue Jul 17, 04:15:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

ZOMG SPOILERS! I totally read me some.

Ending sounds unsatisfactory.

Tue Jul 17, 10:02:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

Meh. Any time you end "the biggest ____ series of all time," you're going to hear that the ending is unsatisfactory.

Just ask David Chase.

Wed Jul 18, 07:33:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

True. But The Sopranos and Harry Potter are two entirely different beasts.

The latter has to at least stab at some sort of resolution.

Wed Jul 18, 09:00:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home