Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Revelation

Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but I realized something as I lay awake in bed (stressed as balls) last night. When I left PETA I assumed that my anxiety level would drop in direct proportion to my stress level. I also assumed that my stress level and my work load had a causational relationship. In other words, I assumed that my work load and the type of work I was doing caused my unmanageably high level of anxiety. Not so, as it turns out; the relationship was one of correlation, not causation.

Stress and anxiety are internal forces which are often only related to our environments incidentally. While environmental factors are often the catalyst of our anxiety/depression/stress/etc., the root cause has more to do with our subjective perceptions of self as we interact with our surroundings and live our lives. Those of us who feel compelled to perpetually strive for bigger and better things will always struggle with the anxiety caused by the subjects of our respective pursuits. The real bitch is that, even when we aren’t striving for anything other than relief, this bull shit cognitive-dissonance-like force moves in to replace the sloughed off stressors we’d managed to escape and we soon find other environmental/situational issues to catalyze the same old feelings. All the while we lose sight of the real problem and remain preoccupied with finding something external on which we can blame our inner conflict. Sounds dismal, huh? Well, maybe not…

The upshot is this: If we strive to become acquainted with the nature of our stress/anxiety/depression/etc. we will be increasingly less likely to allow our lives to be affected by it/them. If we begin to look at our respective situations with these omnipresent feelings in mind, we will make better choices. For example, I shouldn’t avoid heavy work loads out of the fear that I won’t be able to cope with the subsequent stress. The stress will be there anyway. When I find myself stressed out or anxious, I shouldn’t waste time and energy scouring my environment for stressors and nuisances. I should instead focus on doing what needs to be done to get where I want to go. Plus, when determining where it is that I want to go, it would be foolish to allow the misdiagnosis of my current environment to come into play. In other words, I shouldn’t run from a situation which appears to be making me anxious since the anxiety will surely follow.

My conclusion: I’m applying to law school, and I think Tessman should too.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow,i didn't know anyone besides mark and logan actually posted on here.

hope you don't mind the audience.

i'm proud of you, i think you'll kick ass in law school and beyond.

i had a revelation myself last night, here's to us not being such pussies (pardon my french)

my revelation? you didn't ask, but i'll piggy-back - i'm not at all okay with being alone. even single. . . i guess you could say i assign anxiety to that state. seriously, when's the last time you guys can think of that i have just been single? married to jesus doesn't count. and not just between girlfriends either. even in high school i was like this.

don't fuckin' tell me i'm jerry mcguire.

Tue Oct 10, 03:36:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

you aren't jerry mcguire, you're most people. the only way get to be okay with being alone is to be forced to live through it.

you can learn to be happy alone, dude. it's a skill that most people don't have, and one that i wouldn't trade for the world. gimme a call sometime if you wanna chat about all the shit that went down. sorry you're going through more garbage.

thanks for the kind words. for reals.

Tue Oct 10, 05:17:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger jsl said...

So if Brad gets to comment, can I as well? Or should I remain a member of the audience?

Ben - I think you and Nell would both kick ass in law school as well. I say go for it. And I appreciated your exploration as I sit here procrastinating, which I read once was simply a symptom of anxiety about finishing a task. I am definitely having anxiety about homework, the GRE (god damn the GRE), and my application to the U.

Brad - I agree with Ben that learning to be happy alone is not only beneficial but important. Life is never what you predict it to be. Look at my mom - how could my dad have ever known that was going to happen and what would have happened to him if he wasn't able to live independently? I'm grateful he passed on that value to me and my sister.

Anyway...I've enjoyed reading the blogs and thought I would share.

Tue Oct 10, 10:25:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger jsl said...

PS - Brad, you can call me anytime as well. You have many who love and support you :)

Wed Oct 11, 03:22:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger n s tessman said...

(this is mason)
up for debate: causational or causal?

Wed Oct 11, 06:53:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

Causational is def a word... I think either one would work in this case, no?

I didn't feel great using that word, I gotta tell ya.

Wed Oct 11, 09:28:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Ben just got MASOWNED!

Wed Oct 11, 10:09:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger B S Goldsmith said...

No, for real... Which is it?

The word I was attempting to adjectivize was causation (like in statistics), so wouldn't the correct word be causational? Or is the bearded one correct that it's causal?

Thu Oct 12, 09:05:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

AP Stylebook has no opinion on the matter. But does point of that Caucasian is capitalized.

Thu Oct 12, 09:57:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

I think causational rates higher on the douchebaggery scale.

Thu Oct 12, 10:28:00 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home