Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset

Nell is not going to like this, but I have decided I intensely dislike Studio 60.

It took me a couple of episodes to fully articulate my problems with the show -- mostly because Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are so likable. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the rest of the cast.

Some complaints, in an easily digestible bullet format:

1) It is impossible for me to care about a character's ethical dilemma if it is predicated on the necessity of him sending his two kids to private school.

2) It is impossible for me to relate to/empathaize with characters when their banter revolves around which is worse: a cocaine addiction or a DUI.

3) It is impossible to for me to suspend my disbelief in the reality of this show if the skits suck.

4) It is possible to have a Christian character in a Sorkin show not mention their religion every sentence?

5) Finally, is it possible that three episodes in we could have a clear(er) idea of the relationships between the characters? I still have no clue who Steven Weber is or why Amanda Peet's job hangs on the precarious success of this single show.

Apparently I am not alone; the show has already lost 4.5 million viewers in the past two weeks.

NBC is in a world of hurt.

[Although I should add that Mark is totally right about Heroes. I think it is fair to say the show is safe for the time being -- let's see where the narrative takes us from here.]

1 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

Actually, I also want to add that I am totally digging Heroes. None of the superpowers are all that unique, but they are being displayed in fresh ways that manage to recapture that sense of awe. Flying is probably the most cliched power in comics, but the show made it seem magical again. Plus, the show isn't throwing any punches when it comes to shocking imagery (maybe a nod to CSI fans?).

And a billion extra points for casting that girl from Brick.

Thu Oct 05, 04:34:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home