Saturday, September 30, 2006

Junior Boys, Douglas Fir Lounge, 09/28/06

It was the unexpected dance party of the year.

I had seen Junior Boys once before (a year ago at Bottom of the Hill), but it was a bit underwhelming -- the crowd was largely indifferent and I spent most of the concert trying to reconcile the ethereal electro-pop of Last Exit with the two earthly and very real performers on stage.

Thus it was with some surprise that I found Greenspan and Didemus moving not only hearts, but feet and torsos as well. While I would describe the opening number of the set and the title track of their new album So This Is Goodbye as many things - wistful, somber, devastatingly beautiful - danceable is not the first adjective to come to mind. Yet, from the onset, the audience swayed to every added rhythmic texture and the closer (and my personal favorite track) "Under the Sun", in particular, set the crowd in a frenzy.

The first person to find me a bootleg of this or any other show from this tour wins the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home