Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lost Lost...

I’m finally caught up... well... mostly.

I missed the episode where Michael came back. (I think my DVR is programmed to save only five episodes of any given series. Why it decided to delete that episode instead of the oldest is as yet undetermined.) And I haven’t watched the last ~5 minutes of Eko’s lecture to Locke on the importance of being a Sisyphean hero in the most recent episode. (Soon, I’m sure, the monitoring station will kick into effect and we’ll be treated to a glimpse of either the “heroes” of the show or the others. That’s, at least, my prediction of right now.)

Thing is, Lost has... well... lost me.

I think that I know why too. I just can’t keep up.

I like the cast. I like the “tailies.” I like a lot about the show. But after two years of flashbacks, mythology and new characters entering faster than old characters can be killed... there’s just too much now. And I’m having a difficult time remembering (and therefore caring about) what’s going on.

This situation is new to me. Back when I had more mental energy for things like television (pre-Graduate school and pre-Rachel) I had no problem tracking mythology for my favorite shows. For example, I could remember minute details from season one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when they were reintroduced in season four.

I don’t (or can’t) do that anymore. Especially after the regular post-February, pre-May hiatus and my own I’m-too-busy-with-school hiatus.

Point is: Lost needs to simplify... or they’re going to lose me forever.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger d l wright said...

While this doesn't exactly address your issue, Lost has been particularly bad this season at having gaps between episodes (meaning re-runs as opposed to continuous new episodes). Makes a show like this grind to a halt at times. They are going to correct this next season (and a lot of shows are also following suit) by showing seven in a row, having a longer pause, and then have consecutive episodes until the end of the season. More like a cable network I guess.

LOST BETTER BRING THE PAIN NEXT EPISODE.

Wed May 17, 11:55:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger M S Martinez said...

That will help... my brother and I have been saying for years that the major networks need to adopt HBO's programming schedule. Do 13 weeks of new episodes and have 3 or 4 "seasons" a year. Reruns are a killer for most shows.

Also... I forgot to comment on your hate for the latest Hurley episode. My only question is... now you don't like Fight Club? And you used to be cool Logan.

Thu May 18, 07:46:00 AM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Coincidentally, I have already forgotten all of my hate for the Hurley episode. All I remember is how tedious all of that 'just jump of the cliff' stuff was. Now, if Hurley had beaten up Jared Leto, then that episode would have been awesome.

F1GHT CLUB RULEZ. OK?

Thu May 18, 03:37:00 PM GMT-7  
Blogger d l wright said...

Also, in reference to your comment about a new programming schedule: I am guessing there is some reluctance as it would cause them to entirely restructure the economy of the industry. Everything revolves around Sweeps, does it not?

Thu May 18, 05:11:00 PM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home